ElectroMagnetic Analysis (EMA): Measures and Counter-measures for Smart Cards
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A processor can leak information by different ways , electromagnetic radiations could be one of them. This idea, was first introduced by Kocher, with timing and power measurements. Here we developed the continuation of his ideas by measuring the field radiated by the processor. Therefore we show that the electromagnetic attack obtains at least the same result as power consumption and consequently must be carefuly taken into account. Finally we enumerate countermeasures to be implemented.
- R. Anderson and M. Kuhn, Tamper resistance-A cautionary note, Proc. of the Second USENIX Workshop on Electronic Commerce, 1996, pp 1–11.
- P.N. Fahm and P.K. Pearson, IPA: A new class of power attacks, Proc. of CHES’99 (C.K. Koc and Chr. Paar, eds), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1717, Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp. 173–186.
- P. Kocher, J. Jaffe and B. Jun, Differential power analysis, Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO’99 (M.J. Wiener, ed.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1666, Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp. 388–397. CrossRef
- Power analysis of the key scheduling of the AES candidates, The Second AES Conference, March 22–23, 1999, pp. 115–121.
- T.S. Messerges, E.A. Dabbish, R. Sloan, Investigations of Power Analysis Attacks on Smartcards.
- Low cost attacks on tamper resistant devices, Proc. of International Workshop on Security Protocols 1997 (Paris, France) (M. Lomas et. al, ed.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1361, Springer-Verlag, 1997, pp. 125–136
- Towards sound approaches to counteract power-analysis attacks, Proc. Of CRYPTO’99 (M.J. Wiener, ed.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1666, Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp. 398–412.
- J-S. Coron, Resistance against differential power analysis for elliptic curve cryptosystems, Proc. of CHES’99 (C.K. Ko and Chr. Paar, eds), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1717, Springer-Verlag, 1999, pp. 292–302.
- J-S. Coron, P. Kocher, and D. Naccache, Statistics and secret leakage, Financial Cryptography 2000 (FC’00), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer-Verlag.
- E. Biham and A. Shamir, Differential fault analysis of secret key cryptosystems, Proc. of CRYPTO’97 (Burton S. Kaliski Jr., ed), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1294, Springer-Verlag, 1997, pp. 513–525.
- D. Boneh, R.A. DeMillo, and R.J. Lipton, On the importance of checking cryptographic protocols for faults, Proc. of EUROCRYPT’ 97 (W. Fumy, ed), Lectures Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1233, Springer-Verlag, 1997, pp. 37–51.
- E. Hess, N. Janssen, B. Meyer, T. Schutze, Information Leakage Attacks against Smart Card Implementations of Crypt0ographic Algorithms and Countermeasures, Proc. of Eurosmart 2000, pp. 55–63.
- A. Neve, D. Flandre, J-J. Quisquater, Feasibility of Smart Cards in Silicon-On-Insulator (SOI) Technology, Usenix workshop on Smartcard Technology, (Smartcard’99), Usenix Association.
- O. Kommerling, M. Kuhn, Design Principles for Tamper-Resistant Smartcard Processors Proc. of the USENIX Workshop on Smartcard Technology (Smart-card’99), pp. 9–20. Usenix Association.
- K.P. Slattery, J.P. Muccioli, T. North, Modeling the radiated Emisssions from Microprocessors and other VLSI Devices, IEEE 2000 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility.
- J.P. Muccioli, T. North, K.P. Slattery, Characterization of the RF Emissions from a family of Microprocessors using a lGHz cell, IEEE 1997 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibilty.
- J.P. Muccioli, M. Catherwood, Characteristics of Near-field Magnetic Radiated Emissions from VLSI Microcontroller Devices, EMC Test and Design, November 1993.
- A. Agarwal, Raw Computation, Scientific American, August 1999.
- J-J. Quisquater and D. Samyde, A new tool for non-intrusive analysis of smart-cards based on electro-magnetic emssions, the SEMA and DEMA methods, Presented at the rump session of EUROCRYPT’2000.
- ElectroMagnetic Analysis (EMA): Measures and Counter-measures for Smart Cards
- Book Title
- Smart Card Programming and Security
- Book Subtitle
- International Conference on Research in Smart Cards, E-smart 2001 Cannes, France, September 19–21, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 200-210
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- electromagnetic and power analysis
- tamper resistance
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. INRIA Sophia Antipolis
- 5. Campus de Beaulieu, IRISA/CNRS
- Author Affiliations
- 6. UCL Crypto Group, Laboratoire de microélectronique (DICE), Université catholique de Louvain, Place du Levant 3, B-1348, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.