Stratego: A Language for Program Transformation Based on Rewriting Strategies System Description of Stratego 0.5
- Eelco Visser
- … show all 1 hide
Program transformation is used in many areas of software engineering. Examples include compilation, optimization, synthesis, refactoring, migration, normalization and improvement . Rewrite rules are a natural formalism for expressing single program transformations. However, using a standard strategy for normalizing a program with a set of rewrite rules is not adequate for implementing program transformation systems. It may be necessary to apply a rule only in some phase of a transformation, to apply rules in some order, or to apply a rule only to part of a program. These restrictions may be necessary to avoid non-termination or to choose a specific path in a non-con uent rewrite system.
Stratego is a language for the specification of program transformation systems based on the paradigm of rewriting strategies. It supports the separation of strategies from transformation rules, thus allowing careful control over the application of these rules. As a result of this separation, transformation rules are reusable in multiple difierent transformations and generic strategies capturing patterns of control can be described independently of the transformation rules they apply. Such strategies can even be formulated independently of the object language by means of the generic term traversal capabilities of Stratego.
In this short paper I give a description of version 0.5 of the Stratego system, discussing the features of the language (Section 2), the library (Section 3), the compiler (Section 4) and some of the applications that have been built (Section 5). Stratego is available as free software under the GNU General Public License from http://www.stratego-language.org.
- A. W. Appel. Modern Compiler Implementation in ML. Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- O. S. Bagge, M. Haveraaen, and E. Visser. CodeBoost: A framework for the transformation of C++ programs. Technical report, Universiteit Utrecht, 2000.
- P. Borovanský, C. Kirchner, H. Kirchner, P.-E. Moreau, and M. Vittek. Elan: A logical framework based on computational systems. In J. Meseguer, editor, ENTCS, volume 4, 1996. Workshop on Rewriting Logic and Applications 1996.
- M. G. J. van den Brand, H. A. de Jong, P. Klint, and P. A. Olivier. Efficient annotated terms. Software—Practice & Experience, 30:259–291, 2000. CrossRef
- M. Clavel and J. Meseguer. Reflection and strategies in rewriting logic. In J. Meseguer, editor, ENTCS, volume 4, 1996. Workshop on Rewriting Logic and its Applications 1996.
- M. de Jonge, E. Visser, and J. Visser. XT: A bundle of program transformation tools. In ENTCS, 2001. Language Descriptions, Tools and Applications 2001.
- A. Van Deursen, J. Heering, and P. Klint, editors. Language Prototyping, volume 5 of AMAST Series in Computing. World Scientific, Singapore, 1996.
- P. Johann and E. Visser. Warm fusion in Stratego: A case study in the generation of program transformation systems. Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence. (To appear).
- E. Visser. Strategic pattern matching. In P. Narendran and M. Rusinowitch, editors, Rewriting Techniques and Applications (RTA’99), volume 1631 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 30–44, Trento, Italy, July 1999. Springer-Verlag.
- E. Visser. The Stratego Library. Institute of Information and Computing Sciences, Universiteit Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands, 1999.
- E. Visser. Language independent traversals for program transformation. In J. Jeuring, editor, Workshop on Generic Programming (WGP2000), Ponte de Lima, Portugal, July 6, 2000. Technical Report UU-CS-2000-19, Universiteit Utrecht.
- E. Visser. Tiger in Stratego: An exercise in compilation by transformation. http://www.stratego-language.org/tiger/, 2000.
- E. Visser and Z.-e.-A. Benaissa. A core language for rewriting. In C. Kirchner and H. Kirchner, editors, ENTCS, volume 15, September 1998. Rewriting Logic and its Applications 1998.
- E. Visser, Z.-e.-A. Benaissa, and A. Tolmach. Building program optimizers with rewriting strategies. ACM SIGPLAN Notices, 34(1):13–26, January 1999. Proceedings of the International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP’98). CrossRef
- E. Visser et al. The online survey of program transformation. http://www.program-transformation.org/survey.html.
- Stratego: A Language for Program Transformation Based on Rewriting Strategies System Description of Stratego 0.5
- Book Title
- Rewriting Techniques and Applications
- Book Subtitle
- 12th International Conference, RTA 2001 Utrecht, The Netherlands, May 22–24, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 357-361
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.