Rule-Based Analysis of Dimensional Safety
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Dimensional safety policy checking is an old topic in software analysis concerned with ensuring that programs do not violate basic principles of units of measurement. Scientific and/or navigation software is routinely dimensional and violations of measurement unit safety policies can hide significant domain-specific errors which are hard or impossible to find otherwise. Dimensional analysis of programs written in conventional programming languages is addressed in this paper. We draw general design principles for dimensional analysis tools and then discuss our prototypes, implemented by rewriting, which include both dynamic and static checkers. Our approach is based on assume/assert annotations of code which are properly interpreted by our tools and ignored by standard compilers/interpreters. The output of our prototypes consists of warnings that list those expressions violating the unit safety policy. These prototypes are implemented in the rewriting system Maude.
- GNU BC. URL: http://www.gnu.org/software/bc/bc.html.
- J. Bergstra and J.V. Tucker. Equational specifications, complete rewriting systems, and computable and semicomputable algebras. JACM, 42(6):1194–1230, 1995. CrossRef
- P. Borovanský, H. Cîrstea, H. Dubois, C. Kirchner, H. Kirchner, P.-E. Moreau, C. Ringeissen, and M. Vittek. ELAN. User manual — http://www.loria.fr.
- M. Broy, M. Wirsing, and P. Pepper. On the algebraic definition of programming languages. ACM Trans. on Prog. Lang. and Systems, 9(1):54–99, January 1987. CrossRef
- T. Cheatham. Handling fractions and n-tuples in algebraic languages. Presented at the 15th ACM Annual Meeting, Aug. 1960.
- M. Clavel, F. Durán, S. Eker, P. Lincoln, N. Martí-Oliet, J. Meseguer, and J. Quesada. Maude: spec. and progr. in rewriting logic. J. of TCS, 285(2):187–243, 2002. CrossRef
- Compaq. ESC for Java, 2000. URL: http://www.research.compaq.com/SRC/esc.
- R. Diaconescu and K. Futatsugi. CafeOBJ Report: The Language, Proof Techniques, and Methodologies for Object-Oriented Algebraic Specification. World Scientific, 1998. AMAST Series in Computing, volume 6.
- A. Dreiheller, M. Moerschbacher, and B. Mohr. Physcal — programming Pascal with physical units. ACM SIGPLAN Notices, 21(12):114–123, December 1986. CrossRef
- N. Gehani. Units of measure as a data attribute. Comp. Lang., 2:93–111, 1977. CrossRef
- N. H. Gehani. Ada’s derived types and units of measure. Software: Practice and Experience, 15(6):555–569, June 1985. CrossRef
- J. Goguen and G. Malcolm. Alg. Semantics of Imperative Programs. MIT, 1996.
- J. Goguen, T. Winkler, J. Meseguer, K. Futatsugi, and J.-P. Jouannaud. Introducing OBJ. In Software Eng. with OBJ: Alg. spec. in action. Kluwer, 2000.
- I. J. Hayes and B. P. Mahony. Units of measurement in formal specifications. Technical report, SVR Centre, University of Queensland, November 1994.
- P. N. Hilfinger. An Ada package for dimensional analysis. ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, 10(2):189–203, April 1988. CrossRef
- R. T. House. A proposal for the extended form of type checking of expressions. The Computer Journal, 26(4):366–374, 1983.
- M. Karr and D. B. Loveman III. Incorporation of units into programming languages. Communications of the ACM, 21(5):385–391, May 1978. CrossRef
- A. J. Kennedy. Relational parametricity and units of measure. In POPL’97. ACM.
- A. J. Kennedy. Programming Languages and Dimensions. PhD thesis, St. Catherine’s College, University of Cambridge, November 1995.
- G. W. Macpherson. A reusable ada package for scientific dimensional integrity. ACM Ada Letters, XVI(3):56–69, 1996. CrossRef
- R. Milner. A theory of type polymorphism in programming languages. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 17:348–375, 1978. CrossRef
- Peter G. Neumann. Letter from the editor — risks to the public. ACM SIGSOFT Software Engineering Notes, 10(3):10, July 1985.
- M. Odersky and K. Läufer. Putting type annotations to work. TR, Newton Institute Workshop on Advances in Type Systems for Comp., Cambridge, 1995.
- Mars Climate Orbiter. URL: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/orbiter.
- M. Rittri. Dimensional inference under polymorphic recursion. In Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture, 7th Conference. ACM, 1995.
- M. Wand. First-order identities as a defining language. Acta Inf. (14), 1980.
- Z. Yang. Encoding types in ML-like languages. In ICPF 98. ACM, 1998.
- Rule-Based Analysis of Dimensional Safety
- Book Title
- Rewriting Techniques and Applications
- Book Subtitle
- 14th International Conference, RTA 2003 Valencia, Spain, June 9–11, 2003 Proceedings
- pp 197-207
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Dpt. Lenguajes y Sistemas Informáticos (LSI), Technical University of Catalonia (UPC)
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana, Champaign, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.