An Explicit Solution for Computing the Euclidean d-dimensional Voronoi Diagram of Spheres in a Floating-Point Arithmetic
- M. L. Gavrilova
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The problem of computing a d-dimensional Euclidean Voronoi diagram of spheres is relevant to many areas, including computer simulation, motion planning, CAD, and computer graphics. This paper presents a new algorithm based on the explicit computation of the coordinates and radii of Euclidean Voronoi diagram vertices for a set of spheres. The algorithm is further applied to compute the Voronoi diagram with a specified precision in a fixed length floating-point arithmetic. The algorithm is implemented using the ECLibrary (Exact Computation Library) and tested on the example of a 3-dimensional Voronoi diagram of a set of spheres.
- Blum, L., Cucker, F., Shub, M. and Smale, S. “Complexity and Real Computation” (1997)
- Dey, T.K., Sugihara K. and Bajaj, C. L. DT in three dimensions with finite precision arithmetic, Comp. Aid. Geom. Des 9 (1992) 457–470 CrossRef
- Edelsbrunner, H. and Mcke, E. Simulation of simplicity: a technique to cope with degenerate cases in geometric algorithms, 4th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry (1988) 118–133.
- Fortune, S. and Wyk, C. Efficient exact arithmetic for computational geometry, 4th Annual ACM Symp. Comput. Geometry, (1993) 163–172
- Gavrilova, M. and Rokne, J. Reliable line segment intersection testing, Computer Aided Design, (2000) 32, 737–745. CrossRef
- Gavrilova, M., Ratschek, H. and Rokne, J. Exact computation of Voronoi diagram and Delaunay triangulation, Reliable Computing, (2000) 6(1) 39–60. CrossRef
- S. Krishnan, M. Foskey, T. Culver, J. Keyser, D. Manocha, PRECISE: Efficient Multiprecision Evaluation of Algebraic Roots and Predicates for Reliable Geometric Computations, Symp. on Computat. Geometry (2002)
- Naher, S. The LEDA user manual, Version 3.1 (Jan. 16, 1995). Available from http://ftp.mpi-sb.mpg.de in directory /pub/LEDA.
- Ratschek, H. and Rokne, J. Exact computation of the sign of a finite sum, Applied Mathematics and Computation, (1999) 99, 99–127. CrossRef
- Rokne, J.: Interval arithmetic. In: Graphics Gems III, Academic Press, pp. 61–66 and pp. 454–457 (1992).
- Sugihara, K. and Iri, M. A robust topology-oriented incremental algorithm for Voronoi diagrams, IJCGA, (1994) 4 (2): 179–228. CrossRef
- Yap, C., Dub, T. The exact computation paradigm, In “Computing in Euclidean Geometry” (2nd Edition). Eds. D.-Z. Du and F.K. Hwang, World Scientific Press (1995)
- Gavrilova, M. (2002) Algorithm library development for complex biological and mechanical systems: functionality, interoperability and numerical stability DIMACS Workshop on Implementation of Geometric Algorithms, December 2002 (abstract)
- Gavrilova, M. (2002) A Reliable Algorithm for Computing the Generalized Voronoi Diagram for a Set of Spheres in the Euclidean d-dimensional Space, in the Proceedings of the 14th Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, August, Lethbridge, Canada
- An Explicit Solution for Computing the Euclidean d-dimensional Voronoi Diagram of Spheres in a Floating-Point Arithmetic
- Book Title
- Computational Science and Its Applications — ICCSA 2003
- Book Subtitle
- International Conference Montreal, Canada, May 18–21, 2003 Proceedings, Part III
- pp 827-835
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Army High Performance Computing Research Center, USA University of Minessota Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- 5. Department of Computer Science, University of Calgary
- 6. Heuchera Technologies Inc.
- 7. School of Computer Science, The Queen’s University of Belfast
- 8. Département d’informatique et de recherche opérationelle Montréal, Université de Montréal
- M. L. Gavrilova (9)
- Author Affiliations
- 9. Dept of Comp. Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada, T2N1N4
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.