Learning Spaces in Digital Libraries
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Alexandria Digital Earth Prototype (ADEPT) Project is developing services to support the construction and use of “learning spaces”, or personalized DLs of geospatially referenced information and services, with applications in science education. The project is focused on helping students attain deep understanding (concept development) and scientific reasoning skills (hypothesis development.) In relation to its use of concepts and hypotheses for organizing and using collections and services in ways that support such student learning activities, we describe four Project activities focused on developing: (1) use scenarios to inform the ADEPT specification process; (2) both the concept of learning spaces (LSs) and instances of LSs; (3) clients for LSs; and (4) meta-information environments, including topic maps, that support LSs.
- Alexandria Digital Library: http://www.alexandria.ucsb.edu
- Smith, T.R., Janee, G., Frew, J., Coleman, A.: Towards the Alexandria Digital Earth Prototype System. Proceedings of the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, Roanoke, Va (2001), ACM/IEEE.
- Digital Library for Earth Systems Education: http://www.dlese.org
- Bruer, J. T.: (1993). Schools for thought: A science of learning in the classroom (1993) Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Mayer, R. E.: The promise of educational psychology: Learning in the content areas. (1991) Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Mayer, R. E.: Teaching for meaningful learning. (2001) Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- National Research Council: National science education standards. (1996) Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Geography Education Standards Project: Geography for life: National geography standards. (1994) Washington, DC: National Geographic Research and Exploration.
- Borgman, C.L., et al.: Evaluating Digital Libraries for Teaching and Learning in Undergraduate Education: A Case Study of the Alexandria Digital Earth Prototype (ADEPT). Library Trends 49(2) (2000), 228–250.
- Shipman, F.: Visual Knowledge Builder. http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/haowei/VKB/download.html (2000).
- Novak, J.: The Theory Underlying Concept Maps and How to Construct Them.http://cmap.cogint.uwf.edu/info/printer.html (2001).
- Repenning, A.: Agent Sheets. http://www.agentsheets.com (2000).
- Ip, A., et al.: Managing Online Resources for Teaching and Learning. http://ausweb.scu.edu/aw2k/papers/ip/paper.html (2000).
- ADEPT Learning Object Metadata Model. http://www.alexandria.ucsb.edu/ acoleman/alommv3.html (2001).
- ADEPT: The ADN Joint metadata content model, v1.0. http://www.alexandria.ucsb.edu/metadata (2001).
- Hill, L. L., Crosier, S. J., Smith, T. R., Goodchild, M. F.: A content standard for computational models. D-Lib Magazine, 7(6) (2001).
- ISO/IEC 13250 Topic Maps: Information Technology—Document Description and Markup Languages. http://www.y12.doe.gov/sgml/sc34/document/0129.pdf (2000).
- Learning Spaces in Digital Libraries
- Book Title
- Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries
- Book Subtitle
- 5th European Conference, ECDL 2001 Darmstadt, Germany, September 4-9, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 251-262
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Department of Computer Science, University of Crete
- 5. Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas, Institute of Computer Science
- 6. Department of Computer and Information Science, The Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Alexandria Digital Library Project, Department of Computer Science, University of California at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, CA, 93106, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.