Memory Bandwidth: The True Bottleneck of SIMD Multimedia Performance on a Superscalar Processor
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents the performance of DSP, image and 3D applications on recent general-purpose microprocessors using streaming SIMD ISA extensions (integer and floating point). The 9 benchmarks benchmark we use for this evaluation have been optimized for DLP and caches use with SIMD extensions and data prefetch. The result of these cumulated optimizations is a speedup that ranges from 1.9 to 7.1.
All the benchmarks were originaly computation bound and 7 becomes memory bandwidth bound with the addition of SIMD and data prefetch. Quadrupling the memory bandwidth has no effect on original kernels but improves the performance of SIMD kernels by 15–55%.
- R. Bhargava, L. John, B. Evans, and R. Radhakrishnan. Evaluating mmx technology using dsp and multimedia applications. In Micro 31, 1998.
- Brian Case. 3dnow boosts non-intel 3d performance. Microprocessor Report, 12(7):18–21, juin 1998.
- Barton Sano Chia-Lin Yang and Alvin R. Lebeck. Exploiting instruction level parallelism in geometry processing for three dimmensional graphics applications. In Micro 31, November 1998.
- Jean-Luc Bechennec Julien Sebot and Nathalie Drach-Temam. A performance evaluation of multimedia kernels using altivec streaming simd extensions. Third Workshop on Computer Architecture Evaluation Using Commercial Workloads (CAECW00) at HPCA-6, january 2000.
- Motorola. Mpc7400 risc microprocessor hardware sepcification. Technical report, Motorola, sept 1999.
- H. Nguyen and L. K. John. Exploting simd parallelism in dsp and multimedia algorithm using altivec technology. In ICS99, 1999.
- P. Ranganathan, S. Adve, and N. Jouppi. Performance of image processing with general purpose microprocessors and media isa extensions. In ISCA 26, may 1999.
- Memory Bandwidth: The True Bottleneck of SIMD Multimedia Performance on a Superscalar Processor
- Book Title
- Euro-Par 2001 Parallel Processing
- Book Subtitle
- 7th International Euro-Par Conference Manchester, UK, August 28–31, 2001 Proceedings
- pp 439-447
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.