On Maximum Symmetric Subgraphs
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Let G be an n-node graph. We address the problem of computing a maximum symmetric graph H from G by deleting nodes, deleting edges, and contracting edges. This NP-complete problem arises naturally from the objective of drawing G as symmetrically as possible. We show that its tractability for the special cases of G being a plane graph, an ordered tree, and an unordered tree, depends on the type of operations used to obtain H from G. Moreover, we give an O(log n)-approximation algorithm for the intractable case that H is obtained from a tree G by contracting edges. As a by-product, we give an O(log n)-approximation algorithm for an NP-complete edit-distance problem.
- T. Akutsu, An RNC algorithm for finding a largest common subtree of two trees, IEICE Transactions on Information Systems, E75-D, pp. 95–101, 1992.
- S. Bachl, Isomorphic Subgraphs, International Symposium on Graph Drawing (GD’99), LNCS 1731, pp. 286–296, 1999.
- G. Di Battista, P. Eades, and R. Tamassia and I. Tollis, Graph Drawing: Algorithms for the Visualization of Graphs, Prentice-Hall, 1999.
- K. Chin and H. Yen, The Symmetry Number Problem for Trees, manuscript, 1998.
- F. de Fraysseix, A Heuristic for Graph Symmetry Detection, International Symposium on Graph Drawing (GD’99), LNCS 1731, pp. 276–285, 1999.
- P. Eades and X. Lin, Spring Algorithms and Symmetry, Computing and Combinatorics (COCOON’97), LNCS 1276, pp. 202–211, 1997.
- M. Garey and D. Johnson, Computers and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W. H. Freeman, New York, 1979.
- S. Hong, P. Eades, and S. Lee, Finding Planar Geometric Automorphisms in Planar Graphs, 9th International Symposium on Algorithms and Computation (ISAAC’98) LNCS 1533, Springer, pp. 277–286, 1998.
- S. Hong, P. Eades, A. Quigley, and S. Lee, Drawing Algorithms for Series Parallel Digraphs in Three Dimensions, International Symposium on Graph Drawing (GD’98), LNCS 1547, pp. 198–209, 1998.
- S. Hong, P. Eades, A. Quigley, and S. Lee, Drawing Series-Parallel Digraphs Symmetrically, manuscript, 1999.
- J. Hopcroft and R. Tarjan, A V 2 Algorithm for Determining Isomorphism of Planar Graphs, Information Processing Letters, 1(1):32–34, 1971. CrossRef
- P. Kilpelainen, and H. Mannila, Ordered and Unordered Tree Inclusion, SIAM Journal on Computing 24(2):340–356, 1995. CrossRef
- P. Klein, Computing the Edit Distance Between Unrooted Ordered Trees, 6th European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA’98), LNCS 1461, 91–102, 1998.
- E. Lawer, Combinatorial Optimization: Networks and Matroids, New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1976.
- J. Manning, Geometric Symmetry in Graphs, Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Computer Science, Purdue University, 1990.
- J. Manning and M. Atallah. Fast Detection and Display of Symmetry in Trees, Congressus Numerantium, 64:159–169, 1988.
- J. Manning, M. Atallah, K. Cudjoe, J. Lozito, and R. Pacheco. A System for Drawing Graphs with Geometric Symmetry, International Symposium on Graph Drawing (GD’95), LNCS 894, pp. 262–265, 1995.
- C. Papadimitriou, Computational Complexity, Addison-Wesley, 1994.
- K. Zhang, and T. Jiang, Some MAX SNP-hard Results Concerning Unordered Labeled Trees, Information Processing Letters 49(5):249–254, 1994. CrossRef
- K. Zhang, and D. Shasha, Simple Fast Algorithms for the Editing Distance between Trees and Related Problems, SIAM Journal on Computing 18(6):1245–1262, 1989. CrossRef
- On Maximum Symmetric Subgraphs
- Book Title
- Graph Drawing
- Book Subtitle
- 8th International Symposium, GD 2000 Colonial Williamsburg, VA, USA, September 20–23, 2000 Proceedings
- pp 372-383
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Joe Marks (4)
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Department of Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University, 106, Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- 6. Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica, Taipei, 115, Taiwan, R.O.C.
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.