View Maintenance for Hierarchical Semistructured Data
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The problem of incremental view maintenance in materialized data warehouses has been studied extensively for relational selectproject-join (SPJ) views. Many new data sources, however, are highly irregular and views often perform complex restructuring operations. This paper describes WHAX (Warehouse Architecture for XML), an architecture for defining and maintaining views over hierarchical semistructured data sources with key constraints. The WHAX model is a variant of the deterministic model , but is more reminiscent of XML. The view definition language is a variation of XML-QL and supports selections, joins, and important restructuring operations such as regrouping and aggregation. The incremental maintenance is based on the notion of multi-linearity and generalizes well-known techniques from SPJ-views.
- S. Abiteboul, P. Buneman, and D. Suciu. Data on the Web-From Relations to Semistructured Data and XML. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco, California, 1999.
- S. Abiteboul, J. McHugh, M. Rys, V. Vassalos, and J. Wiener. Incremental maintenance for materialized views over semistructured data. In Int’l Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB), pages 38–49, New York City, NY, August 1998.
- S. Abiteboul, D. Quass, J. McHugh, J. Widom, and J. Wiener. The Lorel query language for semistructured data. International Journal on Digital Libraries, 1996.
- J.A. Blakeley, N. Coburn, and P.-A. Larson. Updating derived relations: Detecting irrelevant and autonomously computable updates. ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 14(3):369–400, September 1989.
- P. Buneman, A. Deutsch, and W.C. Tan. A deterministic model for semi-structured data. In Workshop on Query Processing for Semistructured Data and Non-Standard Data Formats, Jerusalem, Israel, January 1999.
- S. Ceri and J. Widom. Deriving production rules for incremental view maintenance. In 17th Int’l Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), pages 577–589, Barcelona, Spain, September 1991. Morgan Kaufmann.
- S. Chawathe, H. Garcia-Molina, J. Hammer, K. Ireland, Y. Papakonstantinou, J. Ullman, and J. Widom. The TSIMMIS project: Integration of heterogenous information sources. In Proceedings of the Information Processing Society of Japan Conference, Tokyo, Japan, October 1994.
- V. Christophides, S. Cluet, and J. Simeon. On wrapping query languages and efficient XML integration. In ACM SIGMOD Conference on Management of Data, 2000. (to appear).
- J. Clark. XSL transformations (XSLT), version 1.0. W3C Proposed Recommendation, Octover 1999. Available as http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt.
- J. Clark and S. DeRose. XML path language (XPath), version 1.0. W3C Working Draft, August 1999. Available as http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath.
- L.S. Colby, T. Griffin, L. Libkin, I.S. Mumick, and H. Trickey. Algorithms for deferred view maintenance. In 1996 ACM SIGMOD Conference, pages 469–480, Montreal, Canada, June 1996.
- A. Deutsch, M. Fernandez, D. Florescu, A. Levy, and D. Suciu. XML-QL: a query language for XML. W3C Note Note-xml-ql-19980819, 1998. Available as http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-xml-ql .
- D. Gluche, T. Grust, C. Mainberger, and M. H. Scholl. Incremental updates for materialized OQL views. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS), pages 52–66, December 1997.
- T. Griffin and L. Libkin. Incremental maintenance of views with duplicates. In ACM SIGMOD Conference, pages 328–339, San Jose, California, May 1995.
- A. Gupta and I.S. Mumick. Maintenance of materialized views: Problems, techniques, and applications. IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, 18(2):3–18, June 1995.
- H.A. Kuno and E.A. Rundensteiner. Incremental maintenance of materialized object-oriented views in multiview: Strategies and performance evaluation. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 10(5), 1998.
- H. Liefke and S.B. Davidson. Efficient view maintenance in XML data warehouses. Technical Report MS-CIS-99-27, Department of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, November 1999.
- M. Wahl, T. Howes, and S. Killes. Lightweight directory access protocol (v3). Technical report, IETF, December 1997.
- Y. Zhuge and H. Garcia-Molina. Graph structured views and their incremental maintenance. In 14th Int’l Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), pages 116–125, Orlando, Florida, February 1998.
- View Maintenance for Hierarchical Semistructured Data
- Book Title
- Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery
- Book Subtitle
- Second International Conference, DaWaK 2000 London, UK, September 4–6, 2000 Proceedings
- pp 114-123
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Graduate School of Informatics, Kyoto University
- 5. Computer Science Department, Western Michigan University
- 6. Vienna University of Technology, IFS
- Author Affiliations
- 7. Dept. of Computer and Information Science, University of Pennsylvania, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.