Agents Working on the Integration of Heterogeneous Information Sources in Distributed Healthcare Environments
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Hospital information infrastructures integrate today complex mosaics of heterogeneous systems, often dependent on legacy systems. The integration of disparate information sources in healthcare is an essential effort since physicians, and other hospital personnel, use to analyze and combine data provided by different sources distributed along the hospital facilities. Day-after- -day their needs for effective means and tools to support such integration of data increase significantly. In order to fulfill such requirements we designed and developed an extensible multi-agent system that physicians may use to access multiple medical data sources available at the hospital, in a transparent way. This paper presents an overall description of the system giving special attention to its architecture and community of software agents. The agents were specially planned for clinical information gathering, cleaning, integration and presentation in healthcare environments.
- Haverkamp, D. S. and Gauch, S. (1998): “Intelligent Information Agents: Review and Challenges for Distributed Information Sources”, Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 49(4): 304–311. CrossRef
- Lazarou, Vasilios S. and Clark, Keith L. (1998): “Agents for Hypermedia Information Discovery”, in Proceedings of 2nd International Workshop of Cooperative Information Agents, Springer.
- Wong, S. and Huang, H. K. (1997): “Network Multimedia for Medical Imaging”, IEEE Multimedia, April-June 1997.
- Cunha, J. P. (1998): “Diagnosis Support in Epilepsy: A Multimedia Information System”, Windows on Healthcare, 4, pp. 13–15.
- Bemmel, J. (Editor); Van Bemmel, J. (Editor); Musen, M. A. (1997): “Handbook of Medical Informatics”, Springer.
- Velde, R. Van(1992): “Hospital Information Systems: The next generation”, Springer Verlag.
- CEN TC251 (1999): “Health information infrastructure — Short strategy study”, http://www.centc251.org/SSS/HII/HII_INR2.pdf
- CEN TC 251 (1997): “Healthcare Information System Architecture-Final Draft 2”, prENV 12967-1, http://www.ehto.org/ikb/standards/centc251/hisa/index.html
- Wooldridge, M. J. and Jennings, N. R. (1995): “Intelligent agents: Theory and practice”, Knowledge Engineering Review, 10(2).
- Oliveira, P. G.; Cunha, J. P.; Oliveira e Silva, T. and Silva, A. M. (1991): “A multistrategy approach to eplileptic focus location”, Proceedings of the 13th Annual International Conference IEEE Engineering in Medice and Biology Society, Orlando, Florida, vol. 13, part 1, pp. 441–442.
- Belo, O. (1999): “Gathering the Right Information at the Right Time”, Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Setúbal, Portugal.
- Geddis, D. F.; Genesereth, M. R.; Keller, A. M. and Singh, N. P. (1995): “Infomaster: A Virtual Information System”, in Intelligent Information Agents Workshop at CIKM’ 95, December 1995
- Bayardo, R. J. et al (1997): “InfoSleuth: Agent-based semantic integration of information in open and dynamic environments”, in Proceedings of SIGMOD’97.
- Knoblock, Craig A. and Ambite, José-Luis (1997). “Agents for information gathering”, In Jeffrey Bradshaw, editor, Software Agents. AAAI Press / The MIT Press, Menlo Park, CA.
- Sycara, Katia; Decker, Keith; Pannu, Anandeep; Williamson, Mike and Zeng, Dajun (1996): “Distributed intelligent agents”, IEEE Expert, 11(6):36–46, December 1996. CrossRef
- Agents Working on the Integration of Heterogeneous Information Sources in Distributed Healthcare Environments
- Book Title
- Advances in Artificial Intelligence
- Book Subtitle
- International Joint Conference 7th Ibero-American Conference on AI 15th Brazilian Symposium on AI IBERAMIA-SBIA 2000 Atibaia, SP, Brazil, November 19–22, 2000 Proceedings
- pp 136-145
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Agent-Based Computing
- Distributed Healthcare Environments
- Hospital Information Systems
- Intelligent Agents
- Intelligent Information Retrieval
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Science and Statistics Computational Intelligence Laboratory, University of São Paulo
- 2. Computer Engineering Department Intelligent Techniques Laboratory, University of São Paulo
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Departamento de Informática, Universidade do Minho, 4700-320, Braga, Portugal
- 6. Electrónica e Telemática de Aveiro, IEETA — Instituto de Eng., 3810-193, Aveiro, Portugal
- 7. Dep. de Electrónica e Telecomunicações, Universidade de Aveiro, 3810-193, Aveiro, Portugal
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.