Application of Metadata Concepts to Discovery of Internet Resources
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Internet resources are not yet machine-understandable resources. To address this problem a number of studies have been done. One such a study is the Resource Description Framework (RDF), which has been supported by World-Wide Web (WWW) Consortium. The DC (Dublin Core) metadata elements have been defined using the property of extensibility of RDF to handle electronic metadata information. In this article, an authoring editor, called H-DCEdit, is introduced. This editor makes use of RDF/DC model to define contents of Turkish electronic resources. To serialize (or to code) a RDF model, SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language) has been used. In addition to this work, a possible view of RDF/DC documents is provided using Document Style Semantics and Specification Language (DSSSL) standard. HDCEdit supports use of Turkish language in describing Internet resources. Isite/Isearch system developed Center for Networked Information Discovery and Retrieval (CNIDR) organization with respect to Z.39.50 standard is able to index documents and allows one to query the indexed terms in tagged elements (e.g., terms in RDF/DC elements). In the scope of our work, the localization of this Isite/Isearch system is completed in terms of sorting, comparison, and stemming. The feature of supporting queries over tags provides basis for integrating H-DCEdit authoring tool with Isite/Isearch search engine.
- Akal, F. Kavram Tabanlí Türkçe Arama Makinasí. Yuksek Muhendislik Tezi. March 2000. Fen Bilimleri Enstitusu, Hacettepe Universitesi, 06532 Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey.
- Chowdhury, G.G. The Internet and Information Retrieval Research: A Brief Review. Journal of Documentation. March 1999, 55(2): 209–225.
- Connolly, D. Let a thousand flowers bloom. In interview section of IEEE Internet Computing. March-April 1998, pp. 22–31.
- Duran, G. Gövdebul: Türkçe Gövdeleme Algoritmasí. Yuksek Muhendislik Tezi. Fen Bilimleri Enstitusu, Hacettepe Universitesi, 06532 Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey, 1997.
- Lawrence, Steve and C. Lee Giles. Searching the World Wide Web. Science. 3 April 1998, 280: 98–100.
- Marshall, C. Making Metadata: a study of metadata creation for a mixed physical-digital collection. In Proc. of the ACM Digital Libraries’98 Conf., Pitsburgh, PA (June 23–26, 1998), pp. 162–171.
- Miller, E. An introduction to the resource description framework. D-Lib Magazine. May 1998.
- Olgun, B. Dublin Core Ustveri Elemanlari Editoru. Yuksek Muhendislik Tezi. Fen Bilimleri Enstitusu, Hacettepe Universitesi, 06532 Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey. 1999. This thesis is also available at http://www.cs.hacettepe.edu.tr/km.
- Singh, N. Unifying Heterogeneous Information Models. ACM Comms. May 1998, 41(5):37–44.
- Weibel, S. The state of the Dublin Core metadata initiative. D-Lib Magazine. April 1999.
- Application of Metadata Concepts to Discovery of Internet Resources
- Book Title
- Advances in Information Systems
- Book Subtitle
- First International Conference, ADVIS 2000 Izmir, Turkey, October 25–27, 2000 Proceedings
- pp 304-313
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Discovery of Internet Resources
- Web mining
- RDF/DC authoring editor
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Tatyana Yakhno (4)
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Computer Engineering Department, Dokuz Eylul University
- Author Affiliations
- 5. The Department of Library Science, Hacettepe University, 06532, Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey
- 6. The Department of Computer Engineering, Hacettepe University, 06532, Beytepe, Ankara, Turkey
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.