Direct Execution Simulation of Mobile Agent Algorithms
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Mobile agent has been applied to develop the solutions for various kinds of parallel and distributed computing problems. However, performance evaluation of mobile agent algorithms remains a difficult task, mainly due to the characteristics of mobile agents such as distributed and asynchronous execution, autonomy and mobility. This paper proposes a general approach based on direct execution simulation for evaluating the performance of mobile agent algorithms by collecting and analyzing the information about the agents during their execution. We describe the proposed generic simulation model, named MADES, the architecture of a software environment based on MADES, and a prototype implementation. A mobile agent-based distributed load balancing algorithm is used for experiments with the prototype.
- Jiannong Cao, Graeme Bennett, Kang Zhang. 2000. Direct Execution Simulation of Load Balancing Algorithms with Real Workload Distribution. The Journal of Systems and Software 54 (2000), pp. 227–237. CrossRef
- Jiannong Cao, Mathew Pole. 1997. A Software Environment for Simulating Distributed Task-Scheduling algorithms. Software-Concepts and Tools (1997) 18, pp. 125–136.
- Jiannong Cao, Xianbing Wang, Sajal K. Das, “A Framework of Using Cooperating Mobile Agents to Achieve Load Balancing in Distributed Web Server Groups”, Proc. 5th International Conference on Algorithms and Architectures for Parallel Processing (ICA3PP2002) (IEEE Computer Society Press), Oct. 2002.
- Phillips M. Dickens, Philip Heidelberger, David M. Nicol. Parallelized Direct Execution Simulation of Messasge-Passing Parallel Programs. IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems. 7(10), 1996. pp. 1090–1105. CrossRef
- Marios D. Dikaiakos, George Samaras. Quantitative Performance Analysis of Mobile Agent Systems: A Hierarchical Approach. Technical Report TR-00-02, Department of Comuter Science, University of Cyprus, June 2000.
- Marios D. Dikaiakos, George Samaras. Performance Evaluation of Mobile Agents: Issues and Approaches. Performance Engineering, LNCS 2047, pp. 148–166,2001. CrossRef
- Oren Etzioni, Daniel S. Weld. Intelligent Agents on the Internet: Fact, Fiction, and Forecast. IEEE Expert, Vol.10, No.3, pp. 44–49, 1995. CrossRef
- Greg Franks, Shikharesh Majumdar, John Neilson, Dornia Petriu. Performance Analysis of Distributed Server Systems. Proc. of The 6-th International Conference on Software Quality, pp. 15–26, October 1996.
- Anshul Gupta, Vipin Kumar. Performance Properties of Large Scale Parallel Systems. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing Vol.19, No.3, 1993, pp. 234–244. CrossRef
- Leila Ismail, Daniel Hagimont. A Performance Evaluation of the Mobile Agent Paradigm. Conference on Object-Oriented, pp. 306–313, 1999.
- Seong-Hwan Kim, Thmas G. Robertazzi. Mobile Agent Modeling. Technical Report, University at Stony Brook, College of Engineering and Applied Science, No. 786, November 2000
- O. de Kretser, A. Moffat, T. Shimmin, and J. Zobel. Methodologies for distributed information retrieval. Proc. of the Eighteenth Int’l Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 26–29, May 1998.
- Anselm Lingnau, Oswald Drobink. Simulating Mobile Agent Systems with Swarm. First International Symposium on Agent Systems and Applications Third International Symposium on Mobile Agents, October, 1999.
- Bernd Mohr. SIMPLE: a Performance Evaluation Tool Environment for Parallel and Distributed Systems. 2nd European Conference, EDMCC2, pp. 80–89, April 1991. Springer, Berlin, LNCS 487.
- B. Meyer, M. Heineken, C. Popien. Performance Analysis of Distributed Applications with ANSAmon. International Conference on Open Distributed Processing (ICODP’ 95), pp. 293–304
- B. Pagurek, Y. Wang, and T. White. Integration of mobile agents with SNMP: Why and how. NOMS’2000, 2000
- Vijay S. Pai, Parthasarathy Ranganathan, and Sarita V. Adve, RSIM: An Execution-Driven Simulator for ILP-Based Shared-Memory Multiprocessors and Uniprocessors, IEEE TCCA Nesletter, Oct. 1997.
- A. Puliafito, S. Riccobene, M. Scarpa. An Analytical Comparison of the Client-server, Remote Evaluation and Mobile Agents Paradigms. First International Symposium on Agent Systems and Applications Third International Symposium on Mobile Agents, October 1999, pp. 278.
- Luís Moura Silva, Victor Batista, Paulo Martins, Guilherme Soares. Using Mobile Agents for Parallel Processing. International Symposium on Distributed Objects and Applications, September, 1999
- Adelinde M. Uhrmacher, Petra Tyschler, Dirk Tyschler. Modeling and Simulation of Mobile Agents. Future Generation Computer Systems, 2000. pp. 107–118
- Songnian Zhou. A Trace-Driven Simulation Study of Dynamic Load Balancing. IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering, Vol.14, No.9, 1988. pp. 1327–1341. CrossRef
- Direct Execution Simulation of Mobile Agent Algorithms
- Book Title
- Parallel and Distributed Processing and Applications
- Book Subtitle
- International Symposium, ISPA 2003 Aizu-Wakamatsu, Japan, July 2–4, 2003 Proceedings
- Book Part
- Session 2B
- pp 127-138
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Department of Computer Software, The University of Aizu
- 5. Department of Computer Science, St. Francis Xavier University
- Author Affiliations
- 6. Internet and Mobile Computing Lab, Department of Computing, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- 7. Parallel and Distributed Computing Lab, Computer School, Computer School, Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei, China
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.