Beyond Average: Toward Sophisticated Sensing with Queries
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
High-level query languages are an attractive interface for sensor networks, potentially relieving application programmers from the burdens of distributed, embedded programming. In research to date, however, the proposed applications of such interfaces have been limited to simple data collection and aggregation schemes. In this paper, we present initial results that extend the TinyDB sensornet query engine to support more sophisticated data analyses, focusing on three applications: topographic mapping, wavelet-based compression, and vehicle tracking. We use these examples to motivate the feasibility of implementing sophisticated sensing applications in a query-based system, and present some initial results and research questions raised by this agenda.
- R. Calderbank, I. Daubechies, W. Sweldens, and B.-L. Yeo. Wavelet transforms that map integers to integers. 5(3):332–369, 1998.
- Y. H. H. Dan Li, Kerry Wong and A. Sayeed. Detection, classification and tracking of targets in distributed sensor networks. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 19(2), Mar 2002.
- J. Elson, L. Girod, and D. Estrin. Fine-grained network time synchronization using reference broadcasts. In OSDI, 2002.
- D. Estrin. Embedded networked sensing for enviromental monitoring. Keynote, circuits and systems workshop. Slides available at http://lecs.cs.ucla.edu/estrin/talks/CAS-JPL-Sept02.ppt.
- D. Ganesan, D. Estrin, and J. Heidemann. Dimensions:Why dowe need a new data handling architecture for sensor networks? In Proceedings of the First Workshop on Hot Topics In Networks (HotNets-I), Princeton, New Jersey, Oct. 2002.
- M. Garofalakis and P. B. Gibbons. Wavelet synopses with error guarantees. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD 2002, pages 476–487, Madison, WI, June 2002.
- J. M. Hellerstein, P. J. Haas, and H. Wang. Online aggregation. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD, pages 171–182, Tucson, AZ, May 1997.
- J. Hill, R. Szewczyk, A. Woo, S. Hollar, and D. C. K. Pister. System architecture directions for networked sensors. In ASPLOS, November 2000.
- C. Intanagonwiwat, D. Estrin, R. Govindan, and J. Heidemann. Impact of network density on data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. ICDCS-22, November 2001.
- C. Intanagonwiwat, R. Govindan, and D. Estrin. Directed diffusion: A scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks. In MobiCOM, Boston, MA, August 2000.
- J. Rabaey, et al. Picoradios for wireless sensor networks: The next challenge in ultra-lowpower design. In Proceedings of the International Solid-State Circuits Conference, San Francisco, CA, Feb. 2002.
- D. Keim and M. Heczko. Wavelets and their applications in databases. In ICDE, Heidelberg, Germany, Apr. 2001.
- M. V. Leonov and A. G. Nitikin. An efficient algorithm for a closed set of boolean operations on polygonal regions in the plane. Technical report, A.P. Ershov Institute of Informatics Systems, 1997. Preprint 46 (In Russian.) English Translation available at http://home.attbi.com/msleonov/pbpaper.html.
- S. Madden, M. J. Franklin, J. M. Hellerstein, and W. Hong. TAG: A Tiny AGgregation Service for Ad-Hoc Sensor Networks. In OSDI, 2002.
- S. Madden, W. Hong, J. M. Hellerstein, and M. Franklin. TinyDB web page. http://telegraph.cs.berkeley.edu/tinydb.
- S. Madden, R. Szewczyk, M. Franklin, and D. Culler. Supporting aggregate queries over ad-hoc wireless sensor networks. In WMCSA, 2002.
- J. Malik, S. Belognie, T. Leung, and J. Shi. Contour and texture analysis for image segmentation. International Journal of Computer Vision, 43(1):7–27, 2001. CrossRef
- Y. Matias, J. S. Vitter, and M. Wang. Wavelet-based histograms for selectivity estimation. In SIGMOD, pages 448–459, Seattle, Washington, June 1998.
- P. Ramanathan, K. Saluja, K.-C. Wang, and T. Clouqueur. UW-API: A Network Routing Application Programmer’s Interface. Draft version 1.0, January 2001.
- W. Sweldens. The lifting scheme: A construction of second generation wavelets. SIAM J. Math. Anal., 29(2):511–546, 1997. CrossRef
- W. Sweldens and P. Schröder. Building your own wavelets at home. In Wavelets in Computer Graphics, pages 15–87. ACM SIGGRAPH Course notes, 1996. http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/wim/papers/athome.pdf.
- Y. Yao and J. Gehrke. The cougar approach to in-network query processing in sensor networks. In SIGMOD Record, September 2002.
- J. Zhao, R. Govindan, and D. Estrin. Computing aggregates for monitoring wireless sensor networks. Technical Report 02-773, USC, September 2003.
- Beyond Average: Toward Sophisticated Sensing with Queries
- Book Title
- Information Processing in Sensor Networks
- Book Subtitle
- Second International Workshop, IPSN 2003, Palo Alto, CA, USA, April 22–23, 2003 Proceedings
- pp 63-79
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)
- 5. Computer Science Department, Stanford University
- Author Affiliations
- 6. UC Berkeley, Berkeley
- 7. Intel Research, Berkeley
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.