Containment of Conjunctive Queries with Safe Negation
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We consider the problem of query containment for conjunctive queries with safe negated subgoals (CQ⌝s). We propose a new method for the containment test of CQ⌝s. Comparing to the previous known approach, which always requires an exponential number of canonical databases to be verified to prove that Q 1 ⊑ Q 2, the algorithm proposed in this paper exploits the containment mappings of their positive counterparts, and terminates once the specified test succeeds. We show that in the worst case, the algorithm has the same performance as the one proposed in previous work. We also extend our algorithm to unions of CQ⌝s in a natural way. Due to the close relation between query containment and answering queries using views, we give some notes on considering answering queries using views when both queries and views have safe negated subgoals.
- S. Abiteboul and O. M. Duschka. Complexity of answering queries using materialized views. In ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), 1998.
- A. K. Chandra and P. M. Merlin. Optimal implementations of conjunctive queries in relational data bases. In ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing (STOC), pages 77–90. 1977.
- O. M. Duschka and A. Y. Levy. Recursive plans for information gathering. In International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), pages 778–784, 1997.
- S. Flesca and S. Greco. Rewriting queries using views. In TKDE, 13(6), 2001.
- D. Florescu, A. Levy, and D. Suciu. Query containment for conjunctive queries with regular expressions. In ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems (PODS). 1998.
- A. Gupta, Y. Sagiv, J. D. Ullman, and J. Widom. Constraint checking with partial information. In ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems (PODS). 1994.
- A. Halevy. Answering queries using views: A survey. In VLDB Journal, 10:4, pp. 270–294, 2001. CrossRef
- A. Klug. On conjunctive queries containing inequalities. In Journal of the ACM 35:1, pp. 146–160, 1988. CrossRef
- A. Y. Levy, A. O. Mendelzon, Y. Sagiv, and D. Srivastava. Answering queries using views. In ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems (PODS). 1995.
- A. Levy and Y. Sagiv. Queries independent of updates. In International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), 1993.
- A. Levy and D. Suciu. Deciding containment for queries with complex objects. In ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems (PODS). ACM Press, 1997.
- Y. Sagiv and M. Yannakakis. Equivalence among relational expressions with the union and difference operations. Journal of the ACM, (4), 27(4):633–655, 1980. CrossRef
- J. Ullman. Principles of Database and KnowledgeBase Systems, Volume II. 1989.
- J. D. Ullman. Information integration using logical views. In International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT), 1997.
- X. Zhang and Z. Meral Özsoyoglu. On efficient reasoning with implication constraints. In DOOD, pages 236–252, 1993.
- Containment of Conjunctive Queries with Safe Negation
- Book Title
- Database Theory — ICDT 2003
- Book Subtitle
- 9th International Conference Siena, Italy, January 8–10, 2003 Proceedings
- pp 346-360
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Dip. di Informatica e Sistemistica, Università di Roma “La Sapienza”
- 5. Department of Computer Science, Stanford University
- Author Affiliations
- 6. University of Freiburg, Institute for Computer Science, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.