Graphs, They Are Changing
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we present a generic algorithm for drawing sequences of graphs. This algorithm works for different layout algorithms and related metrics and adjustment strategies. It differs from previous work on dynamic graph drawing in that it considers all graphs in the sequence (offline) instead of just the previous ones (online) when computing the layout for each graph of the sequence. We introduce several general adjustment strategies and give examples of these strategies in the context of force-directed graph layout. Finally some results from our first prototype implementation are discussed.
- U. Brandes and D. Wagner. A Bayesian paradigm for dynamic graph layout. In Graph Drawing (Proc. GD’ 97), volume 1353 of Lecture Notes Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1997.
- Ulrik Brandes. Drawing on physical analogies. In Drawing Graphs . 2001.
- Jürgen Branke. Dynamic graph drawing. In Drawing Graphs . 2001.
- S. Bridgeman and R. Tamassia. Difference metrics for interactive orthogonal graph drawing algorithms. In Proceedings of 6th International Symposium on Graph Drawing GD’98. Springer LNCS 1457, 1998.
- R.F. Cohen, G. Di Battista, R. Tamassia, and I.G. Tollis. Dynamic graph drawings: Trees, series-parallel digraphs, and st-digraphs. SIAM Journal on Computing, 24(5), 1995.
- S. Diehl, C. Görg, and A. Kerren. Foresighted Graphlayout. Technical Report A/02/2000, FR 6.2-Informatik, University of Saarland, December 2000. http://www.cs.uni-sb.de/tr/FB14.
- Stephan Diehl, Carsten Görg, and Andreas Kerren. Preserving the Mental Map using Foresighted Layout. In Proceedings of Joint Eurographics-IEEE TCVG Symposium on Visualization VisSym’01. Springer Verlag, 2001.
- P. Eades. A heuristic for graph drawing. Congressus Numerantium, 42, 1984.
- C. Friedrich and M. E. Houle. Graph Drawing in Motion II. In Proceedings of Graph Drawing 2001. Springer LNCS (to appear), 2001. CrossRef
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson. Computers and Intractability. A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. Freeman and Company, 1979.
- M. Kaufmann and D. Wagner, editors. Drawing Graphs — Methods and Models, volume 2025 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 2001.
- K.A. Lyons, H. Meijer, and D. Rappaport. Cluster busting in anchored graph drawing. Journal of Graph Algorithms and Applications, 2(1), 1998.
- K. Misue, P. Eades, W. Lai, and K. Sugiyama. Layout Adjustment and the Mental Map. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, 6(2):183–210, 1995. CrossRef
- A. Papakostas and I.G. Tollis. Interactive orthogonal graph drawing. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 47(11), 1998.
- H.C. Purchase, R.F. Cohen, and M. James. Validating graph drawing aesthetics. In F. J. Brandenburg, editor, Graph Drawing (Proc. GD’ 95), volume 1027 of Lecture Notes Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1996.
- G. Sander. Visualization Techniques for Compiler Construction. Dissertation (in german), University of Saarland, Saarbrücken (Germany), 1996.
- Graphs, They Are Changing
- Book Title
- Graph Drawing
- Book Subtitle
- 10th International Symposium, GD 2002 Irvine, CA, USA, August 26–28, 2002 Revised Papers
- pp 23-31
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. Department of Information and Computer Science, University of California at Irvine
- 5. Department of Computer Science, University of Arizona
- Author Affiliations
- 6. University of Saarland, FR 6.2 Informatik, PO Box 15 11 50, D-66041, Saarbrücken, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.