Multiple Society Organisations and Social Opacity: When Agents Play the Role of Observers
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Organisational models in MAS usually position agents as plain actors-observers within environments shared by multiple agents and organisational structures at different levels of granularity. In this article, we propose that the agents’ capacity to observe environments with heterogeneous models of other agents and societies can be enhanced if agents are positioned as socially opaque observers to other agents and organisational structures. To this end, we show that the delegation of the observation role to an artificial agent is facilitated with organisational models that circumscribe multiple opaque spaces of interaction at the same level of abstraction. In the context of the SimCog project , we exemplify how our model can be applied to artificial observation of multi-agent-based simulations.
- Castelfranchi C, Simulating with Cognitive Agents: The Importance of Cognitive Emergence. In Sichman J.S. and Conte R. (eds), Multi-Agent Systems and Agent-Based Simulation, Springer Verlag, LNAI1534 , pp. 26–44, 1998.
- David N., Sichman J.S. and Coelho H, Agent-Based Social Simulation with Coalitions in Social Reasoning. Multi-Agent-Based Simulation, Sp-Verlag, LNAI1979, p. 245–265, 2001.
- Ferber J. and Gutknecht O., A Meta-model for the Analysis and Design of Organizations in MAS. Proc. of Int. Conf. in Multi-Agent Systems, IEEE Computer Society, 1998.
- Ferber J., Reactive Distributed Artificial Intelligence: Principles and Applications. Foundations of DAI, G. O’ Hare and Jennings N., editors, 1996.
- Gilbert N., Sichman J.S. and Conte R. (eds), Multi-Agent Systems and Agent-Based Simulation, Springer Verlag, LNAI1534, 1998.
- Huhns M. and Stephens L.M., Multiagent Systems and Societies of Agents. Multi-Agent Systems — A Modern Approach to AI, Weiss G. (editor), MIT press, 79–114, 1999.
- Norbert G. and Philippe M., The Reorganization of Societies of Autonomous Agents. Multi-Agent Rationality, Proc. of MAAMAW’97, Sp. Verlag, LNAI1237, pp. 98–111, 1997.
- Servat D., Perrier E., Treuil J.P, and Drogoul A., When Agents Emerge from Agents: Introducing Scale Viewpoints in Multi-agent Simulations. In Sichman J.S. and Conte R. (eds), Multi-Agent Systems and Agent-Based Simulation, Springer Verlag, LNAI1534 , pp. 183–198, 1998.
- SimCog, Simulation of Cognitive Agents. http://www.lti.pcs.usp.br/SimCog/.
- Swarm, The Swarm Simulation System, http://www.swarm.org/.
- Multiple Society Organisations and Social Opacity: When Agents Play the Role of Observers
- Book Title
- Advances in Artificial Intelligence
- Book Subtitle
- 16th Brazilian Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, SBIA 2002 Porto de Galinhas/Recife, Brazil, November 11–14, 2002 Proceedings
- pp 63-73
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Departamento de Automação e Sistemas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
- 2. Centro de Informática, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Department of Information Science and Technology, ISCTE/DCTI, Lisbon, Portugal
- 6. Intelligent Techniques Laboratory, University of São Paulo, Brazil
- 7. Department of Informatics, University of Lisbon, Portugal
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.