Managing Data Quality in Cooperative Information Systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Current approaches to the development of cooperative information systems are based on services to be offered by cooperating organizations, and on the opportunity of building coordinators and brokers on top of such services. The quality of data exchanged and provided by different services hampers such approaches, as data of low quality can spread all over the cooperative system. At the same time, improvement can be based on comparing data, correcting them and disseminating high quality data. In this paper, a service-based framework for managing data quality in cooperative information systems is presented. An XML-based model for data and quality data is proposed, and the design of a broker, which selects the best available data from different services, is presented. Sucha broker also supports the improvement of data based on feedbacks to source services.
- C. Batini and M. Mecella, “Enabling Italian e-Government Through a Cooperative Architecture,” IEEE Computer, vol. 34, no. 2, 2001.
- U. Dayal, M. Hsu, and R. Ladin, “Business Process Coordination: State of the Art, Trends and Open Issues,” in Proceedings of the 27th Very Large Databases Conference (VLDB 2001), Roma, Italy, 2001.
- F. Casati, D. Georgakopoulos, and M.C. Shan, Eds., Proceedings of the 2nd VLDB International Workshop on Technologies for e-Services (VLDB-TES 2001), Rome, Italy, 2001.
- P. Bertolazzi and M. Scannapieco, “Introducing Data Quality in a Cooperative Context,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Information Quality (IQ’01), Boston, MA, USA, 2001.
- H. Galhardas, D. Florescu, D. Shasha, and E. Simon, “An Extensible Framework for Data Cleaning,” in Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2000), San Diego, CA, USA, 2000.
- M. Jarke, M. Lenzerini, Y. Vassiliou, and Panos Vassiliadis, Eds., Fundamentals of Data Warehouses, Springer Verlag, 1999.
- H.B. Kon, R.Y. Wang and S.E. Madnick, “Data Quality Requirements: Analysis and Modeling,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE’ 93), Vienna, Austria, 1993.
- G. Mihaila, L. Raschid, and M. Vidal, “Querying Quality of Data Metadata,” in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT’98), Valencia, Spain, 1998.
- M. Mecella, M. Scannapieco, A. Virgillito, R. Baldoni, T. Catarci, and C. Batini, “Architectural Support for Data Quality in Cooperative Information Systems,” Technical report of the DaQuinCIS project, Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica, Università di Roma “La Sapienza”, Roma, Italy, 2002.
- T. Catarci and M. Lenzerini, “Representing and Using Interschema Knowledge in Cooperative Information Systems,” Journal of Intelligent and Cooperative Information Systems, vol. 2, no. 4, 1993.
- M. Scannapieco, “Data Quality in Cooperative Information Systems,” Doctoral Poster at the 28th Very Large Databases Conference (VLDB 2002), Hong Kong, 2002.
- T.C. Redman, Data Quality for the Information Age, ArtechHouse, 1996.
- A. Deutsch, M. Fernandez, D. Florescu, A. Levy, and D. Suciu, “XML-QL: A Query Language for XML,” in Proceedings of the 8th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW8), Toronto, Canada, 1999.
- R.G.G. Cattell and D.K. Barry, Eds., The Object Database Standard: ODMG 2.0, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1997.
- M. Scannapieco, V. Mirabella, M. Mecella, and C. Batini, “Data Quality in e-Business,” in Proceedings of the Workshop on Web Services, e-Business, and the Semantic Web: Foundations, Models, Architecture, Engineering and Applications, in conjunction with CAiSE 2002, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 2002.
- F.B. Schneider, “What Goods are Models and What Models are Good?,” in Distributed Systems, S. Mullender, Ed. ACM Press, 1994.
- M.J. Fischer, N.A. Lynch, and M.S. Paterson, “Impossibility of Distributed Consensus withOne Faulty Process,” Journal of the ACM, vol. 32, no. 2, 1985.
- V. Hadzilacos and S. Toueg, “Fault-Tolerant Broadcasts and Related Problems,” in Distributed Systems, S. Mullender, Ed. ACM Press, 1994.
- Managing Data Quality in Cooperative Information Systems
- Book Title
- On the Move to Meaningful Internet Systems 2002: CoopIS, DOA, and ODBASE
- Book Subtitle
- Confederated International Conferences CoopIS, DOA, and ODBASE 2002 Proceedings
- pp 486-502
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 4. DOA Institute
- 5. RMIT University School of Computer Science and IT
- Author Affiliations
- 6. Università di Roma “La Sapienza”, DIS
- 7. Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, IASI
- 8. Università di Milano “Bicocca”, DISCo
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.