Performance of a Time-of-Flight Range Camera for Intelligent Vehicle Safety Applications
- Stephen HsuAffiliated withCanesta, Inc.
- , Sunil AcharyaAffiliated withCanesta, Inc.
- , Abbas RafiiAffiliated withCanesta, Inc.
- , Richard NewAffiliated withCanesta, Inc.
A variety of safety-enhancing automobile features can be enabled by microsystems that can sense and analyze the dynamic 3D environment inside and outside the vehicle. It is desirable to directly sense the 3D shape of the scene, since the appearance of objects in a 2D image is confounded by illumination conditions, surface materials, and object orientation. To overcome the disadvantages of 3D sensing methods such as stereovision, radar, ultrasound, or scanning LADAR, we present Electronic Perception Technology, an advanced range camera module based on measuring the time delay of modulated infrared light from an active emitter, using a single detector chip fabricated on standard CMOS process. This paper overviews several safety applications and their sensor performance requirements, describes the principles of operation of the range camera, and characterizes its performance as configured for airbag deployment occupant sensing and backup obstacle warning applications.
Keywordsrange camera time-of-flight camera range video lidar 3D camera 3D sensor CMOS-sensor airbag occupant sensing advanced airbag dynamic suppression backup obstacle detection pedestrian detection pre-crash sensing electronic perception technology
- Performance of a Time-of-Flight Range Camera for Intelligent Vehicle Safety Applications
- Book Title
- Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications 2006
- pp 205-219
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- range camera
- time-of-flight camera
- range video
- 3D camera
- 3D sensor
- airbag occupant sensing
- advanced airbag
- dynamic suppression
- backup obstacle detection
- pedestrian detection
- pre-crash sensing
- electronic perception technology
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.