Experimental Study of Coherence Vortices: Birth and Evolution of Phase Singularities in the Spatial Coherence Function
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In summary, we have presented evidence of coherence vortices for the first time and experimentally investigated the properties of phase singularities in the coherence function. Unlike for conventional optical vortices, the intensity for coherence vortices does not vanish, but their contrasts become zero. Furthermore, the proposed method for synthesizing coherence vortices faciliates direct observation of the detailed local properties of an coherence vortex, and introduces new opportunities to explore other topological phenomena for the coherence function.
- Nye, J F and Berry M V (1974) Dislocations in wave trains. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A 336, 165–190.
- Schouten H F, Gbur, G, Visser, T D and Wolf E (2003) Phase singularities of the coherence functions in Young’s interference pattern. Opt. Lett. 28(12):968–970.
- Gbur, G and Visser T D (2003) Coherence vortices in partially coherent beams. Opt. Comm. 222:117–125. CrossRef
- Goodman, J W (1968) Introduction to Fourier optics. McGRAW-Hill, New York.
- Rosen, J and Yariv, A (1996) General theorem of spatial coherence: application to three-dimensional imaging. J. Opt. Soc. Am A 13:2091–2095. CrossRef
- Rosen, J and Takeda, M (2000) Longitudinal spatial coherence applied for surface profilometry. Appl. Opt. 39(23):4107–4111. CrossRef
- Wang, W, Kozaki, H, Rosen J and Takeda, M (2002) Synthesis of longitudinal coherence functions by spatial modulation of an extended light source: a new interpretation and experimental verifications. Appl. Opt. 41(10):1962–1971.
- Takeda, M, Wang, W, Duan, Z and Miyamoto, Y (2005) Coherence holography: Holographic Imaging with Coherence Function. Holography 2005, International Conference on Holography, Varna, Bulgaria.
- Larkin, K G, Bone, D J and Oldfield, M A (2001) Natural demodulation of two-dimensional fringe patterns. I. General background of the spiral phase quadrature transform. J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 18(8):1862–1870.
- Takeda, M, Ina H and Kobayashi S (1982) Fourier-transform method of fringe-pattern analysis for computer-based topography and interferometry. J. Opt. Soc. Am 72:156–160. CrossRef
- Experimental Study of Coherence Vortices: Birth and Evolution of Phase Singularities in the Spatial Coherence Function
- Book Title
- Fringe 2005
- Book Subtitle
- The 5th International Workshop on Automatic Processing of Fringe Patterns
- Book Part
- Session 1
- pp 46-53
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Technische Optik, Universität Stuttgart
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Dept. of Info. & Comm. Engg., The University of Electro-Communications, Chofu, Tokyo, 182-8585, Japan
- 3. Dept. for Optics and Plasma Research, OPL-128, Risoe National Laboratory, P.O. Box 49, 4000, Roskilde, Denmark
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.