Dynamic programming on graphs with bounded treewidth
- Hans L. Bodlaender
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we study the complexity of graph decision problems, restricted to the class of graphs with treewidth ≤k, (or equivalently, the class of partial k-trees), for fixed k. We introduce two classes of graph decision problems, LCC and ECC, and subclasses C-LCC, and C-ECC. We show that each problem in LCC (or C-LCC) is solvable in polynomial (O(n C )) time, when restricted to graphs with fixed upper bounds on the treewidth and degree; and that each problem in ECC (or C-ECC) is solvable in polynomial (O(n C )) time, when restricted to graphs with a fixed upper bound on the treewidth (with given corresponding tree-decomposition). Also, problems in C-LCC and C-ECC are solvable in polynomial time for graphs with a logarithmic treewidth, and in the case of C-LCC-problems, a fixed upper bound on the degree of the graph.
Also, we show for a large number of graph decision problems, their membership in LCC, ECC, C-LCC and/or C-ECC, thus showing the existence of O(n C ) or polynomial algorithms for these problems, restricted to the graphs with bounded treewidth (and bounded degree). In several cases, C=1, hence our method gives in these cases linear algorithms.
For several NP-complete problems, and subclasses of the graphs with bounded treewidth, polynomial algorithms have been obtained. In a certain sense, the results in this paper unify these results.
- S. Arnborg. Efficient algorithms for combinatorial problems on graphs with bounded decomposability — A survey. BIT, 25:2–23, 1985.
- S. Arnborg, D. Corneil, and A. Proskurowski. Complexity of finding embeddings in a k-tree. SIAM J. Alg. Disc. Meth., 8:277–284, 1987.
- S. Arnborg, J. Lagergren, and D. Seese. Which problems are easy for tree-decomposable graphs. 1987. Ext. abstract to appear in proc. ICALP 88.
- S. Arnborg, J. Lagergren, and D. Seese. Which problems are easy for tree-decomposable graphs. 1988. In these proceedings.
- S. Arnborg and A. Proskurowski. Linear time algorithms for NP-hard problems on graphs embedded in k-trees. TRITA-NA-8404, Dept. of Num. Anal. and Comp. Sci., Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, 1984.
- B. S. Baker. Approximation algorithms for NP-complete problems on planar graphs. In Proceedings 24th Ann. Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 265–273, IEEE Computer Society, Los Angeles, 1983, Preliminary version.
- M. W. Bern, E. L. Lawler, and A. L. Wong. Why certain subgraph computations require only linear time. In Proc. 26th Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 117–125, 1985.
- H. L. Bodlaender. Classes of Graphs with Bounded Treewidth. Technical Report RUU-CS-86-22, Dept. of Comp. Science, University of Utrecht, Utrecht, 1986.
- H. L. Bodlaender. Dynamic programming algorithms on graphs with bounded tree-width. Tech. Rep., Lab. for Comp. Science, M.I.T., 1987.
- H. L. Bodlaender. NC-algorithms for graphs with small treewidth. Technical Report RUU-CS-88-4, Dept. of Comp. Science, Univ. of Utrecht, Utrecht, 1988.
- H. L. Bodlaender. Polynomial algorithms for Chromatic Index and Graph Isomorphism on partial k-trees. Tech. Rep. RUU-CS-87-17, Dept. of Comp. Sci., Univ. of Utrecht, 1987.
- E. J. Cockayne, S. E. Goodman, and S. T. Hedetniemi. A linear algorithm for the domination number of a tree. Inform. Proc. Letters, 4:41–44, 1975.
- C. J. Colbourn and L. K. Stewart. Dominating cycles in series-parallel graphs. Ans Combinatorica, 19A:107–112, 1985.
- D. Coppersmith and U. Vishkin. Solving NP-hard problems in’ almost trees': vertex cover. Disc. Applied Match, 10:27–45, 1985.
- G. Cornuéjols, D. Naddef, and W. R. Pulleyblank. Halin graphs and the traveling salesman problem. Math. Programming, 26:287–294, 1983.
- M. R. Garey and D. S. Johnson. Computers and Intractability, A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, 1979.
- Y. Gurevich, L. Stockmeyer, and U. Vishkin. Solving NP-hard problems on graphs that are almost trees and an application to facility location problems. J. Assoc. Comp. Mach., 31:459–473, 1984.
- R. Hassin and A. Tamir. Efficient algorithms for optimization and selection on series-parallel graphs. SIAM J. Alg. Disc. Meth., 7:379–389, 1986.
- S. T. Hedetniemi, R. Laskar, and J. Pfaff. A linear algorithm for the domination number of a cactus. Report 433, Dept. of Math. Sc., Clemson Univ., Clemson, S.C., 1983.
- T. W. Hungerford. Algebra. Graduate Texts in Mathematics 73, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1974.
- T. Kikuno, N. Yoshida, and Y. Kakuda. A linear algorithm for the domination number of a series-parallel graph. Discrete Appl. Math., 5:299–311, 1983.
- R. Laskar, J. Pfaff, S. M. Hedetniemi, and S. T. Hedetniemi. On the algorithmic complexity of total domination. SIAM J. Alg. Disc. Meth., 5:420–425, 1984.
- B. Monien and I. Sudborough. Min cut is NP-complete for edge weighted trees. In Proc. of Int. Conf. Automata, Languages, and Programming ICALP '86, pages 265–274, Springer Verlag Lecture Notes in Comp. Science, Vol 226, 1986.
- B. Monien and I. H. Sudborough. Bandwidth-constrained NP-complete problems. In Proc. 13th Ann. ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, pages 207–217, Assoc. For Computing Machinery, New York, 1981.
- A. Proskurowski and M. M. Sysło. Efficient vertex-and edge-coloring of outerplanar graphs. Report UO-CIS-TR-82-5, Dept. of Computer and Information Sc., Univ. of Oregon Eugene, Ore., 1982.
- N. Robertson and P. Seymour. Graph minors. II. Algorithmic aspects of tree-width. J. of Algorithms, 7:309–322, 1986.
- N. Robertson and P. Seymour. Graph minors. X. Obstructions to tree-decompositions. 1986. Manuscript.
- N. Robertson and P. Seymour. Graph minors. XIII. The disjoint paths problem. 1986. Manuscript.
- P. Scheffler and D. Seese. A combinatorial and logical approach to linear-time computability. 1986. Extended abstract.
- I. H. Sudborough. “Cutwidth” and related graph problems. Bulletin of the EATCS, 79–110, Feb. 1987.
- M. M. Sysło. NP-complete problems on some tree-structured graphs: a review. In M. Nagl and J. Perl, editors, Proc. WG'83 International Workshop on Graph Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, pages 342–353, Univ. Verlag Rudolf Trauner, Linz, West Germany, 1983.
- M. M. Sysło. The subgraph isomorphism problem for outerplanar graphs. Theor. Comput. Science, 17:91–97, 1982.
- K. Takamizawa, T. Nishizeki, and N. Saito. Linear-time computability of combinatorial problems on series-parallel graphs. J. ACM, 29:623–641, 1982.
- J. Wald and C. Colbourn. Steiner trees, partial 2-trees, and minimum IFI networks. Networks, 13:159–167, 1983.
- J. Wald and C. J. Colbourn. Steiner trees in outerplanar graphs. In Proc. 13th Southeastern Conf. on Combinatorics, Graph Theory, and Computing, Utilitas Mathematica Publishing, Winnipeg, Ont., 1982.
- Dynamic programming on graphs with bounded treewidth
- Book Title
- Automata, Languages and Programming
- Book Subtitle
- 15th International Colloquium Tampere, Finland, July 11–15, 1988 Proceedings
- pp 105-118
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- partial k-trees
- graph decision problems
- restrictions of NP-complete problems
- polynomial time algorithms
- dynamic programming
- local condition compositions
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.