Performance analysis of multi-buffered packet-switching networks in multiprocessor systems
In this paper, we extend Jenq 's performance analysis method of single-buffered banyan networks, to be applicable for the multi-buffered packet-switching interconnection networks in multiprocessor systems. Earlier analyses on the buffered interconnection network performances assumed either single or infinite buffers at each input (output) port of a switch. As far as the multi-buffered interconnection network is concerned, only some simulation results for the delta networks have been known .
We first model the performance of the single-buffered delta networks using the state transition diagram of a buffer. We then extend the model to account for the multiple buffers.
The results of the multi-buffered delta networks obtained through this analytic approach are compared with the known simulation results. We also show the state equations for the multi-buffered data manipulator networks to demonstrate the generality of the model.
- Jenq, Y.C., “Performance Analysis of a Packet Switch Based on Single-Buffered Banyan Network”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications,Vol. SAC-30, No. 6, December 1983, pp. 1014–1021.
- Dias, D.M. and Jump, J.R., “Analysis and Simulation of Buffered Delta Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Computers,Vol. C-30, No. 4, April 1981, pp. 273–282.
- Chin, C.Y. and Hwang, K., “Packet Switching Networks for Multiprocessors and Data Flow Computers”, IEEE Transactions on Computers,Vol. C-33, No. 11, November 1984, pp. 991–1003.
- Turner, J.S., “Design of an Integrated Services Packet Network”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications,Vol. SAC-4, No. 8, November 1986, pp. 1373–1380.
- Turner, J.S., “Design of a Broadcast Packet Switching Network”, Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM, April 1986, pp. 667–675.
- Patel, J.H., “Performance of Processor-Memory Interconnections for Multiprocessors”, IEEE Transactions on Computers,Vol. C-30, No. 10, October 1981, pp. 771–780.
- Kruskal, C.P. and Snir, M., “The Performance of Multistage Interconnection Networks for Multiprocessors”, IEEE Transactions on Computers,Vol. C-32, No. 12, December 1983, pp. 1091–1098
- Lee M. and Wu, C.L., “Performance Analysis of Circuit Switching Baseline Interconnection Networks”, Proc. 11th Annu. Comput. Arch. Conf., 1984, pp. 82–90.
- Kumar, M. and Jump, J.R., “Performance of Unbuffered Shuffle-Exchange Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Computers,Vol. C-35, No. 6, June 1986, pp. 573–578.
- Varma, A. and Raghavendra, C.S., “Performance Analysis of a Redundant-Path Interconnection Network”, Proc. of 1985 Int. Conf. on Parallel Processing, 1985, pp. 474–479.
- Dias, D.M. and Jump, J.R., “Packet Switching Interconnection Networks for Module Systems”, IEEE Computer,Vol. 14, No. 12, December 1981, pp. 43–53.
- Bubenik, R.G. and Turner, J.S., “Performance of a Broadcast Packet Switch”, Tech. Report WUCS-86-10, Washington University, Computer Science Department, June 1986.
- Yoon, H., Lee, K.Y., and Liu, M.T., “Performance Analysis and Comparison of Packet Switching Interconnection Networks”, Proc. of 1987 Int. Conf. on Parallel Processing, August 1987.
- Feng, T., “Data Manipulating Functions in Parallel Processors and their Implementations”, IEEE Transactions on Computers,Vol. C-30, No. 3, March 1974, pp. 309–318.
- Siegel, H.J., “Interconnection Networks for SIMD Machines”, IEEE Computer,Vol. 12, June 1979, pp. 57–65.
- Smith,S.D., Siegel,H.J., McMillen,R.J., and Adams III,G.B., “Use of the Augmented Data Manipulator Multistage Network for SIMD Machines”, International Conference on Parallel Processing, August 1980, pp. 75–78.
- Parker, D.S. and Raghavendra, C.S., “The Gamma Network”, IEEE Transactions on Computers,Vol. C-33, No. 4, April 1984, pp. 367–373.
- Performance analysis of multi-buffered packet-switching networks in multiprocessor systems
- Book Title
- Book Subtitle
- 1st International Conference Athens, Greece, June 8–12, 1987 Proceedings
- pp 124-137
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.