Perturbation of eigenvalues in thermoelasticity and vibration of systems with concentrated masses
- E. Sanchez-Palencia
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We study two physical problems containing a small parameter ε. When ε ↓0 there are infinitely many eigenvalues converging to zero. The corresponding asymptotic behavior is studied by a dilatation of the spectral plane. On the other hand, as ε ↓0, there are other eigenvalues converging to finite non-zero values. The first problem is the vibration of a thermoelastic bounded body where ε denotes the thermal conductivity. For ε = 0 the spectrum is formed by purely imaginary eigenvalues with finite multiplicity and the origin, which is an eigenvalue with infinite multiplicity ; for ε > 0 it becomes a set of eigenvalues with finite multiplicity. The second problem concerns the wave equation in dimension 3 with a distribution of density depending on ε, which converges, as ε ↓0 to a uniform density plus a punctual mass at the origin. As ε ↓0, there are “local vibrations” near the origin which are associated with the small eigenvalues.
- AURIAULT J.L. et SANCHEZ-PALENCIA E. “Etude du comportement macroscopique d'un milieu poreux saturé d6formable”. Jour. Méca., 16 p. 575–603 (1977).
- KATO T. “Perturbation theory for Linear Operators”. Springer, Berlin (1966).
- LADYZHENSRAYA O.A. “The Mathematical Theory of Viscous Incompressible Flow”. Gordon and Breach, New-York (1963).
- OHAYON R. Personal communication (June 1983).
- SANCHEZ-PALENCIA E. “tNon Homogeneous Media and Vibration Theory”. Springer, Berlin (1980).
- STEINBERG S. “Meromorphic Families of Compact Operators”. Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal. 31, p. 372–378 (1968). *** DIRECT SUPPORT *** A3418152 00008
- Perturbation of eigenvalues in thermoelasticity and vibration of systems with concentrated masses
- Book Title
- Trends and Applications of Pure Mathematics to Mechanics
- Book Subtitle
- Invited and Contributed Papers presented at a Symposium at Ecole Polytechnique, Palaiseau, France November 28 – December 2, 1983
- pp 346-368
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Physics
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.