Symbolic computing with compression of data structures: General observations, and a case study
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Data structures used by large symbolic computing systems tend to be fixed in form, and unable to change to reflect special symmetries or properties of individual computations. We examine the consequences of the view that the first step in a symbolic computation can be the analysis of the problem to be solved, to determine what is the most compact practical data structure for that problem. General principles of such an analysis are presented, and are then applied to a particular problem in differentiation which has caused difficulties in storage to some traditional large systems.
- Campbell, J.A., SIGSAM Bull. A.C.M. 10 (40), 46 (1976)
- Campbell, J.A., Programming Language Systems (eds. M.C. Newey, R.B. Stanton and G.L. Wolfendale), pp. 61–70. Australian National University Press, Canberra (1978)
- Fitch, J.P., Herbert, P. and Norman, A.C., Proc. 1976 A.C.M. Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation (ed. R.D. Jenks), pp. 185–188. Yorktown Heights, N.Y. (1976)
- Harrington, R., Celest. Mech. 1, 200 (1969)
- Knuth, D.E., The Art of Computer Programming, vol. 1: Fundamental Algorithms (second edition), p. 454. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts (1975)
- Richards, M., The BCPL Language Compiler. Cambridge University Press (1979)
- Sloane, N.J.A., Handbook of Integer Sequences and Series. Academic Press, N.Y. (1973). A new edition is in an advanced stage of preparation.
- Sundblad, Y., SIGSAM Bull. A.C.M., nr. 24, 18 (1972)
- Symbolic computing with compression of data structures: General observations, and a case study
- Book Title
- Symbolic and Algebraic Computation
- Book Subtitle
- EUROSM '79, An International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation, Marseille, France, June 1979
- pp 503-513
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.