Probabilistic algorithms for sparse polynomials
- Richard Zippel
- … show all 1 hide
In this paper we have tried to demonstrate how sparse techniques can be used to increase the effectiveness of the modular algorithms of Brown and Collins. These techniques can be used for an extremely wide class of problems and can applied to a number of different algorithms including Hensel's lemma. We believe this work has finally laid to rest the bad zero problem.
Much of the work here is the direct result of discussion with Barry Trager and Joel Moses whose help we wish to acknowledge.
- S. Brown, “On Euclid's Algorithm and the Computation of Polynomial Greatest Divisors,” J. ACM 18, 4 (1971), 478–504.
- MATHLAB Group, MACSYMA Reference Manual—version 9, Laboratory for Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, (1978).
- J. Moses and D. Y. Y. Yun, “The EZGCD algorithm,” Proceedings of ACM Nat. Conf. (1973), 159–166.
- D. R. Musser, “Multivariate Polynomial Factoring,” J. ACM 22, 2 (1975), 291–308.
- M. O. Rabin, “Probabilistic Algorithms,” Algorithms and Complexity—New Directions and Recent Results (J. F. Traub Ed.), Acad. Press, New York, (1976), 21–39.
- R. Solovay and V. Strassen, “A Fast Monte-Carlo Test for Primality,” SIAM J. of Comp. 6, 1 (1977).
- P. S.-H. Wang and L. P. Rothschild, “Factoring Multivariate Polynomials over the Integers,” Math. Comp. 29, (1975), 935–950.
- P. S.-H. Wang, “An Improved Multivariate Polynomial Factoring Algorithm,” Math. Comp. 32, (1978), 1215–1231.
- D. Y. Y. Yun, The Hensel Lemma in Algebraic Manipulation, Ph. D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, (1974).
- H. Zassenhaus, “On Hensel Factorization I,” J. Number Theory 1, (1969), 291–311.
- R. E. Zippel, Probabilistic Algorithms for Sparse Polynomials, Ph. D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, (1979).
- Probabilistic algorithms for sparse polynomials
- Book Title
- Symbolic and Algebraic Computation
- Book Subtitle
- EUROSM '79, An International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Manipulation, Marseille, France, June 1979
- pp 216-226
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.