Graph-theoretic arguments in low-level complexity
- Leslie G. Valiant
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We have surveyed one approach to understanding complexity issues for certain easily computable natural functions. Shifting graphs have been seen to account accurately and in a unified way for the superlinear complexity of several problems for various restricted models of computation. To attack "unrestricted" models (in the present context combinational circuits or straight-line arithmetic programs,) a first attempt, through superconcentrators, fails to provide any lower bounds although it does give counter-examples to alternative approaches. The notion of rigidity, however, does offer for the first time a reduction of relevant computational questions to noncomputional properties. The "reduction" consists of the conjunction of Corollary 6.3 and Theorem 6.4 which show that "for most sets of linear forms over the reals the stated algebraic and combinatorial reasons account for the fact that they cannot be computed in linear time and depth O(log n) simultaneously." We have outlined some problem areas which our preliminary results raise, and feel that further progress on most of these is humanly feasible. We would be interested in alternative approaches also.
Problem 6 Propose reductions of relevant complexity issues to noncomputational properties, that are more promising or tractable than the ones above.
- Aho, A.V., Hopcroft, J.E. and Ullman, J.D., The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Addison Wesley, 1974.
- Beneš, V.E., Mathematical Theory of Connecting Networks and Telephone Traffic. Academic Press, New York, 1965.
- Borodin, A.B. and Munro, I. The Complexity of Algebraic and Numeric Problems, American Elsevier, 1975.
- Ehrenfeucht, A. Practical decidability. Report CU-CS-008-72, Univ. of Colorado (1972).
- Erdös, P., Graham and Szemerédi, Ě. On sparse graphs with dense long paths. Comp. and Maths. with Appls., 1, (1975) 365–369. CrossRef
- Fischer, M.J. and Rabin, M.O. Super-exponential complexity of Presburger arithmetic. MACTR43, Project MAC, MIT, (1974).
- Hopcroft, J.E., Paul, W.J. and Valiant, L.G. Time versus space and related problems. Proc. 16th Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, Berkeley, (1975) 57–64.
- Hartmanis, J., Lewis, P.M. and Stearns, R.E. Classification of Computations by time and memory requirements. Proc. IFIP Congress 1965, Spartan, N.Y., 31–35.
- Hyafil, L. and Kung, H.T. The complexity of parallel evaluation of linear recurrence. Proc. 7th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing (1975) 12–22.
- Margulis, G.A. Explicit constructions of Concentrators, Problemy Peredachi Informatsii, 9: 4(1973) 71–80.
- Meyer, A.R. and Stockmeyer, L.J. The word problem for regular expressions with squaring requires exponential space. Proc. 13th IEEE Symp. on Switching and Automata Theory, (1972)125–129.
- Paterson, M.S., Fischer, M.J. and Meyer A.R. An improved overlap argument for on-line multiplication. SIAM-AMS Proceedings Vol 7, (1974) 97–111
- Paterson, M.S. and Valiant, L.G. Circuit size is nonlinear in depth. Theoretical Computer Science 2 (1976) 397–400. CrossRef
- Paul, W.J. A 2.5N Lower bound for the combinational complexity of boolean functions. Proc. 7th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, (1975) 27–36.
- Paul, W.J., Tarjan, R.E. and Celoni, J.R. Space bounds for a game on graphs. Proc. 8th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, (1976) 149–160.
- Pippenger, N. The complexity theory of switching networks. Ph.D. Thesis, Dept. of Elect. Eng., MIT, (1973).
- Pippenger, N. Superconcentrators. RC5937. IBM Yorktown Heights (1976).
- Pippenger, N. and Valiant, L.G. Shifting graphs and their applications. JACM 23 (1976) 423–432. CrossRef
- Schnorr, C.P. Zwei lineare Schranken fur die Komplexität Boolischer Funktionen, Computing, 13 (1974) 155–171.
- Stockmeyer, L.J. and Meyer, A.R. Inherent computational complexity of decision problems in logic and automata theory. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (to appear), Springer
- Strassen, V. Die Berechnungkomplexität von elementar symmetrichen Funktionen und von Interpolationskoeffizienten. Numer. Math 20 (1973) 238–251. CrossRef
- Strassen, V. Vermeidung von Divisionen, J.Reine Angew.Math., 264, (1973), 184–202.
- Valiant, L.G. On non-linear lower bounds in computational complexity. Proc. 7th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, (1975) 45–53.
- Valiant, L.G. Universal circuits. Proc. 8th ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, (1976) 196–203.
- Valiant, L.G. Some conjectures relating to superlinear lower bounds. TR85, Dept. of Comp. Sci., Univ. of Leeds (1976).
- Winograd, S. On the number of multiplications necessary to compute certain functions. Comm. on Pure and App. Math. 23 (1970) 165–179.
- Graph-theoretic arguments in low-level complexity
- Book Title
- Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science 1977
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings, 6th Symposium, Tatranská Lomnica September 5–9, 1977
- pp 162-176
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.