Boosted Algorithms for Visual Object Detection on Graphics Processing Units
Nowadays, the use of machine learning methods for visual object detection has become widespread. Those methods are robust. They require an important processing power and a high memory bandwidth which becomes a handicap for real-time applications. The recent evolution of commodity PC computer graphics boards (GPU) has the potential to accelerate those algorithms.
In this paper, we present a novel use of graphics hardware for object detection in advanced computer vision applications. We implement a system for object-detection based on AdaBoost . This system can be tuned to run partially or totally on the GPU. This system is evaluated with two face-detection applications. Those applications are based on the boosted cascade of classifiers: Multiple Layers Face Detection (MLFD), and Single Layer Face Detection (SLFD). We show that the SLFD implementation on GPU performs up to nine times faster than its CPU counterpart. The MLFD, in the other hand, can be accelerated using the (GPU) and performs up to three times faster than the CPU.
To the best of our knowledge, this is the first attempt to implement a sliding window technique for visual object-detection on GPU, with promessing performance.
- Boosted Algorithms for Visual Object Detection on Graphics Processing Units
- Book Title
- Computer Vision – ACCV 2006
- Book Subtitle
- 7th Asian Conference on Computer Vision, Hyderabad, India, January 13-16, 2006. Proceedings, Part II
- pp 254-263
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 16. Center for Visual Information Technology, International Institute of Information Technology
- 17. Department of Computer Science, Columbia University
- 18. Microsoft Research Asia
- Author Affiliations
- 19. Robotics Center, Ecole des Mines de Paris, 60 bd Saint-Michel, 75272 Cedex 06, Paris, France
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.