What’s Decidable About Arrays?
- Aaron R. BradleyAffiliated withComputer Science Department, Stanford University
- , Zohar MannaAffiliated withComputer Science Department, Stanford University
- , Henny B. SipmaAffiliated withComputer Science Department, Stanford University
Motivated by applications to program verification, we study a decision procedure for satisfiability in an expressive fragment of a theory of arrays, which is parameterized by the theories of the array elements. The decision procedure reduces satisfiability of a formula of the fragment to satisfiability of an equisatisfiable quantifier-free formula in the combined theory of equality with uninterpreted functions (EUF), Presburger arithmetic, and the element theories. This fragment allows a constrained use of universal quantification, so that one quantifier alternation is allowed, with some syntactic restrictions. It allows expressing, for example, that an assertion holds for all elements in a given index range, that two arrays are equal in a given range, or that an array is sorted. We demonstrate its expressiveness through applications to verification of sorting algorithms and parameterized systems. We also prove that satisfiability is undecidable for several natural extensions to the fragment. Finally, we describe our implementation in the π VC verifying compiler.
- What’s Decidable About Arrays?
- Book Title
- Verification, Model Checking, and Abstract Interpretation
- Book Subtitle
- 7th International Conference, VMCAI 2006, Charleston, SC, USA, January 8-10, 2006. Proceedings
- pp 427-442
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 16. Aiken Computation Laboratory, Harvard University,
- 17. Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
- Author Affiliations
- 18. Computer Science Department, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 94305-9045, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.