How to Analyze 1 Billion CDRs per Sec on $200K Hardware
Modern telecommunication systems generate large amounts of data such as details of network traffic and service usage (call detail records). Amongst other information, these huge databases contain the behavioral patterns of the company’s customers. By extracting this data, a telecommunications company (Telco) can better understand the needs of its customers.
Traditional database technology scales to hold vast amounts of data but has severe performance limitations when it comes to analyzing this data. Data mining tools, which often store data in a private representation, offer fast analysis on small data sets but generally do not scale beyond a few million rows.
This paper presents a scalable, parallel data analysis engine capable of processing tens of millions of rows per second per CPU. This technology enables knowledge workers to get sub-second responses to queries that would previously have taken minutes or even hours.
- Berry, M.J.A., Linoff, G.: Data Mining Techniques. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1997)
- Boncz, A., Ruhl, T., Kwakkel, K.: The Drill Down Benchmark. In: Proc. of 24th VLDB Conf. (1998)
- Chattratichat, J., et al.: Large Scale Data Mining: Challenges and Responses. In: Proceedings KDD 1997 (1997)
- Inmon, W.H.: Building the Data Warehouse. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester (1996)
- TPC-D benchmark for ProLiant 65000 6/200-1, report data september 19 (1997)
- Triangle Database Marketing: Report produced for internal use of TANTAU Software Inc. June 03 (1999)
- How to Analyze 1 Billion CDRs per Sec on $200K Hardware
- Book Title
- Databases in Telecommunications
- Book Subtitle
- International Workshop, Co-located with VLDB-99, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK, September 6th, 1999. Proceedings
- pp 144-157
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.