Recent Developments in the Commercial Implementation of Topology Optimization
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Topology optimization has matured to be a practical design tool. After several years of success in the automotive industry, topology optimization has been introduced in other industries with great success. Design processes in the consumer products and aerospace industry benefit greatly from the use of topology optimization. The introduction of manufacturing constraints made the technology even more appealing. The paper will discuss recent developments in the implementation of topology optimization in commercial software and the use in a digital engineering environment.
- Bendsøe, M. and Kikuchi, N., Generating optimal topologies in optimal design using a homogenization method, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 71, 197–224 (1988). CrossRef
- Altair OptiStruct, User’s Manual v7.0, Altair Engineering Inc., Troy, MI (2003).
- Schramm, U., Structural optimization — An efficient tool in automotive design. ATZ — Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift, 100, Part 1: 456–462, Part 2: 566–572 (1998) [in German].
- Schramm, U., Thomas, H.L., Zhou, M. and Voth, B., Topology optimization with Altair OptiStruct, in Proceedings of the Optimization in Industry II Conference, Banff, CAN (1999).
- Voth, B., Using automatically generated shape variables to optimize stamped plates, Altair Internal Report, (1999).
- Fleury, C., Structural weight optimization by dual methods of convex programming, Int. J. for Num. Meth. Engn., 14, 1761–1783 (1979). CrossRef
- Fleury, C. and Braibant, V., Structural optimization: A new dual method using mixed variables, Int. J. for Num. Meth. Engn., 23, 409–428 (1986). CrossRef
- Svanberg, K., Method of moving asymptotes — A new method for structural optimization, Int. J. for Num. Meth. Engn., 24, 359–373 (1987). CrossRef
- Thomas, H.L., Vanderplaats, G.N. and Shyy, Y.-K., A study of move limit adjustment strategies in the approximation concepts approach to structural synthesis, in Proceedings of the 4th AIAA/USAF/NASA/OAI Symposium on Multidisciplinary Design Optimization, Cleveland, OH, pp. 507–512 (1992).
- Zhou, M., Pagaldipti, N., Thomas, H.L. and Shyy, Y.K., An integrated approach for topology, sizing, and shape optimization, in Proceedings of the 8th AIAA MDO Conference, Long Beach, CA, AIAA-2000-4946 (2000).
- Zhou, M., Shyy, Y.K. and Thomas, H.L., Checkerboard and minimum member size control in topology optimization, in Proceedings of the 3rd WCSMO, Buffalo, NY (1999).
- Harzheim, L. and Graf, G., TopShape: An attempt to create design proposals including manufacturing constraints, in Proceedings of OptiCon2000, Irvine, CA (2000).
- Zhou, M., Shyy, Y.K. and Thomas, H., Topology optimization with manufacturing constraints, in Proceedings of the 4th World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Dalian, China (2000).
- Zhou, M., Fleury, R., Shyy, Y.K., Thomas, H.L. and Brennan, J., Progress in topology optimization with manufacturing constraints, in Proceedings of the 9th AIAA MDO Conference, Atlanta, GA, AIAA-2002-4901 (2002).
- Zhou, M., Pagaldipti, N. and Shyy, Y.K., Topology optimization with linear buckling responses — Software and applications, in Proceedings of the 5th WCSMO, Venice, Italy (2003).
- Schramm, U., Zhou, M., Tang, P.-S. and Harte, C.G., Topology layout of structural designs and buckling, in Proceedings of the 10th AIAAMDO Conference, Albany, NY, AIAA-2004-4636 (2004).
- Cervellera, P., Zhou, M. and Schramm, U., Optimization driven design of shell structures under stiffness, strength and stability requirements, in Proceedings of the 6th WCSMO, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil (2005).
- Krog, L., Tucker, A. and Rollema, G., Application of topology, sizing and shape optimization methods to optimal design of aircraft components (2003).
- Nelson, E., Draw direction constraints in topology optimization — A practical example, in Proceedings of the SAE World Congress, Detroit, SAE Paper 2003-01-1306 (2003).
- Recent Developments in the Commercial Implementation of Topology Optimization
- Book Title
- IUTAM Symposium on Topological Design Optimization of Structures, Machines and Materials
- Book Subtitle
- Status and Perspectives
- pp 239-248
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Solid Mechanics and Its Applications
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- Topology optimization
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.