Agents and Agency in Branching Space-Times
- Nuel Belnap
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Branching time puts an indeterminist causal structure on instantaneous but world-wide “super-events” called moments. This theory has “action at a distance” as an inevitable presupposition. In contrast, branching space-times puts an indeterminist causal order on tiny little point events. The benefit of branching space-times theory is that it can represent local indeterminist events with only local outcomes. The “seeing to it that” or “stit” theory of agency developed in Belnap, Perloff and Xu, 2001 employs branching time as a substructure, and thus has the following shortcoming: It is inevitably committed to an account of action-outcomes that makes them instantaneously world-wide. This essay asks how the stit theory of agency can be adapted to branching space-times in such a way that action-outcomes are local.
- Belnap N. (1992). “Branching Space-Time”. Synthese 385–434.
- ____ (1999). “Concrete Transitions.” In Actions, norms, values: Discussions with Georg Henrik von Wright. G. Meggle, Ed. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter. 227–236. A “postprint” (2002) may be obtained from http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu
- ____ (2002a). Double Time References: Speech-Act Reports as Modalities in an Indeterminist Setting. In Wolter et al, 37–58. A preprint of this essay may be obtained from http://www.pitt.edu/~belnap
- ____ (2002b). A Theory of Causation: Causae causantes (Originating Causes) as inus Conditions in Branching Space-Times. A preprint of this essay may be obtained from http://philsci.archive.pitt.edu.
- ____ (2002c). No-Common-Cause EPR-Like Funny Business in Branching Space-Times. Forthcoming in Philosophical studies. A preprint of this essay may be obtained from http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu
- ____ (2002d). Branching Histories Approach to Indeterminism and Free Will. This essay may be obtained from http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu
- ____ (2002e). EPR-like ‘Funny Business’ in the Theory of Branching Space-Times. In Placek and Butterfield 2002, 293–315. A preprint of this essay may be obtained from http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu
- Belnap N., Perloff M. and Xu M. Facing the Future: Agents and Choices in our Indeterminist World. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2000.
- Copley B. (2000). “Conceptualizing the Futurate and the Future”. In MIT working papers in philosophy and linguistics: The linguistics / philosophy interface, Bhatt R., Hawley P., Kackl M. and Maitra I. eds. Cambridge MA.: MIT Press. 45–72.
- Horty J.F. (2001). Agency and Deontic Logic. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Kane R. (1998). The Significance of Free Will. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Müller T. (2002). Branching Space-Time, Modal Logic and the Counterfactual Conditional. In Placek and Butterfield, 273–291.
- Placek T. (2000a) “Stochastic Outcomes in Branching Space-Time: Analysis of Bell’s Theorem”. British journal for the philosophy of science, 51:445–475.
- ____ (2000). Is Nature Deterministic?. Kraków: Jagiellonian University Press.
- ____ (2002b). Partial Indeterminism is Enough: a Branching Analysis of Bell-Type Inequalities. In Placek and Butterfield 2002, 317–342.
- Placek T. and Butterfield J. (20020). Non-Locality and Modality. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Rakić N. (1997). Common-Sense Time and Special Relativity. Ph. D. thesis. University of Amsterdam.
- Szabo L. and Belnap N. (1996). Branching Space-Time Analysis of the GHZ Theorem. Foundations of physics, 26,8:989–1002.
- Thomson J. (1977). Acts and Other Events. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.
- Wolter F., Wansing H., de Rijke M. and Zakharyaschev M. “Advances in Modal Logic”. World Scientific Co. Pte. Ltd, 2002:3. Singapore.
- Agents and Agency in Branching Space-Times
- Book Title
- Logic, Thought and Action
- Book Part
- Part IV
- pp 291-313
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Logic, Epistemology, and the Unity of Science
- Series Volume
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.