Deposition and Characteristics of Atomic Oxygen Protective Coatings Using Plasma Polymerized HMDSO
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Plasma polymerized films can be deposited on many materials from hexamethyldisiloxane (HMDSO)/oxygen (O2) mixtures. The device for plasma polymerization is described. Different HMDSO/O2 ratios in the das mixture provide varying degree of corrosion and erosion protection. The composition and structure of the deposited films were analyzed. The protective coatings on Kapton and polyester have been evaluated by testing in atomic oxygen beam equipment and in thermal energy plasma system. The HMDSO/O2 ratio in mixture has a significant effect on the composition and characteristics of polymerization films. Tests proved that HMDSO polymerization films deposited with appropriate HMDSO/O2 ratio (3/1) in mixture can protect efficiently substrates from atomic oxygen attack, without changing significantly the substrates optical properties. If there is no sufficient oxygen amount in gas mixture, polymerized films have a high rate of degradation due to attack by atomic oxygen. If oxygen is in excess, the polymerized films become rough, and can not sufficiently protect the substrates.
- Banks B. A., Mirtich M., Rutledge S. K., and Nabra H. K, Protection of Solar Array Blankets from Attack by Low Earth Orbital Atomic Oxygen, 18-th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, 1985, p.381–385.
- Gulino D. A., Solar Dynamic Conference Durability in Atomic Oxygen and Micrometeoroid Environment, Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, (1988), 25, 3, 244–249.
- Nabra H. K. and Rutledge H. K., Technologies for Protection of Space Station Power System Surface in Atomic Oxygen Environment, Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth Space Congress, Poster 5-1.
- Janka J. and Sodomka L., Selective Gas Sorption of Plasma-polymerized Organosiloxane Thin Films, Thin Solid Films, (1992), 216, 235–238.
- Biederman H., Polymer Films Prepared by Plasma Polymerization and their Potential Applications, Vacuum, (1987), 137, 367–373.
- Wang J., Yu Z. et al, Coaxial Atomic Oxygen Simulation Facility and its Properties, Chinese Space Science and Technology, (1998), 18, 5, 50–55.
- Rutledge S. K, Cooper J. M., and Olle R. M., The Effect of Atomic Oxygen on Polysiloxane-Polyimide for Spacecraft Application in Low Earth Orbit, Forth Annual Workshop on Space Operations Application and Research (SOAR-90), 1991, p.755–762.
- Deposition and Characteristics of Atomic Oxygen Protective Coatings Using Plasma Polymerized HMDSO
- Book Title
- Protection of Materials and Structures from Space Environment
- Book Subtitle
- pp 443-450
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Space Technology Proceedings
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science + Business Media,Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Integrity Testing Laboratory Inc.
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Lanzhou Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Space Technology, Lanzhou, 730000, (China)
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.