An Absolute Property of Four Mutually Tangent Circles
- H.S.M. CoxeterAffiliated withUniversity of Toronto
When Bolyai János was forty years old, Philip Beecroft discovered that any tetrad of mutually tangent circles determines a complementary tetrad such that each circle of either tetrad intersects three circles of the other tetrad orthogonally. By careful examination of a new proof of this theorem, one can see that it is absolute in Bolyai’s sense. Beecroft’s double-four of circles is seen to resemble Schläfli’s double-six of lines.
- An Absolute Property of Four Mutually Tangent Circles
- Book Title
- Non-Euclidean Geometries
- Book Subtitle
- János Bolyai Memorial Volume
- Book Part
- pp 109-114
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Mathematics and Its Applications
- Series Volume
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, Inc.
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.