The NICMOS Turbo-Brayton Cryocooler — Two Years in Orbit
A turbo-Brayton cryocooler was installed on the Hubble Space Telescope in March 2002 to restore cooling to the Near Infrared Camera and Multi-Object Spectrograph (NICMOS). The cryocooler delivers its refrigeration to the NICMOS cryostat by means of a separate cryogenic circulating loop that was packaged with the cryocooler. During two years of on-orbit operation, the cooler has maintained the NICMOS detectors within specified bounds of temperature at approximately 77 K. The cryocooler relies on temperature feedback from the gas stream into and out of the cryostat for temperature control. Compressor frequency is adjusted to increase or reduce net refrigeration available from the cryocooler to accommodate changes in the thermal environment and parasitic heat loads. This paper reviews the cryocooler design, describes the means for temperature control, and reviews operational history during the first two years in space.
- Swift, W. L. (1995) Single Stage Reverse Brayton Cryocooler: Performance of the Engineering Model. Cryocoolers. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 499-506
- Nellis, G. (1999) Reverse Brayton Cryocooler for NICMOS. Cryocoolers. Plenum Press, New York, pp. 431-438
- Dolan, F.X., McCormick, J.A., Nellis, G.F., Sixsmith, H., Swift, W.L., Gibbon, J. A. (2000) Flight Test Results for the NICMOS Cryocooler. Advances in Cryogenic Engineering. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, pp. 481-488
- Breedlove, J.J., Zagarola, M.V., Nellis, G.F., Gibbon, J.A., Dolan, F.X., Swift, W.L. (2001) Life and Reliability Characteristics of Turbo-Brayton Coolers. Cryocoolers. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, pp. 489-498
- Swift, W.L., McCormick, J.A., Breedlove, J.J., Dolan, F.X., Sixsmith, H. (2002) Initial Operation of the NICMOS Cryocooler on the Hubble Space Telescope. Cryocoolers. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, pp. 563-570 CrossRef
- The NICMOS Turbo-Brayton Cryocooler — Two Years in Orbit
- Book Title
- Cryocoolers 13
- pp 633-639
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.