Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Arthroscopic radial styloidectomy is a useful treatment for symptomatic arthritis localized to the distal radioscaphoid articulation, either as an isolated technique or as an adjunct to another carpal procedure. The procedure is minimally invasive with the potential for temporary pain relief and improved hand function. The details of the technique are important to review in order to avoid injury to cutaneous nerves, the dorsal branch of the radial artery, and the palmar radiocarpal ligaments. The bony resection should be limited to 3 mm to 4 mm, preserving the origins of the radioscaphocapitate and long radiolunate ligaments.
- Barnard L, Stubbins SG. Styloidectomy of the radius in the surgical treatment of non-union of the carpal navicular: a preliminary report. J Bone Joint Surg 1948;30A:98–102.
- Smith L, Friedman B. Treatment of ununited fracture of the carpal navicular by styloidectomy of the radius. J Bone Joint Surg 1956;38A:368–376.
- Sprague B, Justis EJ. Nonunion of the carpal navicular: modes of treatment. Arch Surg 1974;108:692–697.
- Herness D, Posner MA. Some aspects of bone grafting for non-union of the carpal navicular: analysis of 41 cases. Acta Orthop Scand 1977;48:373–378.
- Stark HH, Rickard TA, Zemel NP, et al. Treatment of ununited fractures of the scaphoid by iliac bone grafts and Kirschnerwire fixation. J Bone Joint Surg 1988;70A:982–991.
- Osterman AL, Mikulics M. Scaphoid nonunion. Hand Clin 1988;14:437–455.
- Ruch DS, Chang DS, Poehling GG. The arthroscopic treatment of avascular necrosis of the proximal pole following scaphoid nonunion: case report. Arthroscopy 1998;14:747–752.
- Watson HK, Ballet FL. The SLAC wrist: scapholunate advanced collapse pattern of degenerative arthritis. J Hand Surg 1984;9A: 358–365.
- Watson HK, Ryu J, DiBella A. An approach to Kienbock's disease: triscaphe arthrodesis. J Hand Surg 1985;10A:179–187.
- Rogers WD, Watson HK. Radial styloid impingement after triscaphe arthrodesis. J Hand Surg 1989;14A:297–301.
- Minamikawa Y, Peimer CA, Yamaguchi T, et al. Ideal scaphoid angle for intercarpal arthrodesis. J Hand Surg 1992;17A:370–375.
- Atik TL, Baratz M. The role of arthroscopy in wrist arthritis. Hand Clin 1999;15:489–494.
- Cooney WP, DeBartolo T, Wood MB. Post-traumatic arthritis of the wrist. In: Cooney WP, Linscheid RL, Dobyns JH. (eds). The Wrist: Diagnosis and Operative Treatment. St. Louis: Mosby, 1998, pp. 588–629.
- Osterman AL. Wrist arthroscopy. In: Green DP, Hotchkiss RN, Pederson WC, (eds.) Green's Operative Hand Surgery. 4th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1999, pp. 207–222.
- Savoie FH III, Field LD. Diagnostic and operative arthroscopy. In: Gelberman RH, (ed). The Wrist, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2002, pp. 21–35.
- Berger RA. The ligaments of the wrist: a current overview of anatomy with considerations of their potential functions. Hand Clin 1997;13:63–82.
- Blevens AD, Light TR, Jablonsky WS, et al. Radiocarpal articular contact characteristics with scaphoid instability. J Hand Surg 1989;14A:781–790.
- Siegel DB, Gelberman, RH. Radial styloidectomy: an anatomical study with special reference to radiocarpal intracapsular ligamentous morphology. J Hand Surg 1991;16A:40–44.
- Nakamura T, Cooney WP III, Lui WH, et al. Radial styloidectomy: a biomechanical study on stability of the wrist joint. J Hand Surg 2001;26A:85–93.
- Nagle DJ. Laser-assisted wrist arthroscopy. Hand Clin 1999;15:495–499.
- Cooney WP, Linscheid RL, Dobyns, JH. Triangular fibrocartilage tears. J Hand Surg 1994;19A:143–154.
- Radial Styloidectomy
- Book Title
- Wrist Arthroscopy
- pp 134-138
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation, University of Mississippi Medical Center
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Clinical Orthopaedic Surgery, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern Center for Orthopaedics, Chicago, IL, 60611, USA
- 3. Department of Orthopaedics, Rush Medical Center, Midwest Orthopaedics, Chicago, IL, 60612, USA
- 4. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Thomas Jefferson University, King of Prussia, PA, 19078
- 5. Philadelphia Hand Center, Philadelphia, PA, 19107, USA
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.