A Primer in Column Generation
- Jacques DesrosiersAffiliated withHEC Montréal and GERAD
- , Marco E. LübbeckeAffiliated withTechnische Universität Berlin
We give a didactic introduction to the use of the column generation technique in linear and in particular in integer programming. We touch on both, the relevant basic theory and more advanced ideas which help in solving large scale practical problems. Our discussion includes embedding Dantzig-Wolfe decomposition and Lagrangian relaxation within a branch-and-bound framework, deriving natural branching and cutting rules by means of a so-called compact formulation, and understanding and influencing the behavior of the dual variables during column generation. Most concepts are illustrated via a small example. We close with a discussion of the classical cutting stock problem and some suggestions for further reading.
- A Primer in Column Generation
- Book Title
- Column Generation
- pp 1-32
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. GERAD and École Polytechnique de Montréal
- 2. GERAD and HEC Montréal
- 3. GERAD and Northeastern University
- Author Affiliations
- 4. HEC Montréal and GERAD, Canada
- 5. Technische Universität Berlin, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.