Efficient Support for Time Series Queries in Data Stream Management Systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
There is much current interest in supporting continuous queries on data streams using generalizations of database query languages, such as SQL. The research challenges faced by this approach include (i) overcoming the expressive power limitations of database languages on data stream applications, and (ii) providing query processing and optimization techniques for the data stream execution environment that is so different from that of traditional databases. In particular, SQL must be extended to support sequence queries on time series, and to overcome the loss of expressive power due to the exclusion of blocking query operators. Furthermore, the query processing techniques of relational databases must be replaced with techniques that optimize execution of time-series queries and the utilization of main memory. The Expressive Stream Language for Time Series (ESL-TS) and its query optimization techniques solve these problems efficiently and are part of the data stream management system prototype developed at UCLA.
- A. Arasu, S. Babu, and J. Widom. An abstract semantics and concrete language for continuous queries over streams and relations. Technical report, Stanford University, 2002.
- B. Babcock, S. Babu, M. Datar, R. Motawani, and J. Widom. Models and issues in data stream systems. in PODS, 2002.
- Shivnath Babu. Stream query repository. Technical report, CS Department, Stanford University, http://www-db.stanford.edu/stream/sqr/, 2002.
- D. Barbara. The characterization of continuous queries. Intl. Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, 8(4):295–323, 1999. CrossRef
- S. Boag, D. Chamberlin, M. F. Fernandez, D. Florescu, J. Robie, J. Simeon, and M. Stefanescu (eds.). Xquery 1.0: An xml query language-working draft 22 august 2003. Working Draft 22 August 2003, W3C, http://www.w3.org/tr/xquery/, 2003.
- D. Carney, U. Cetintemel, M. Cherniack, C. Convey, S. Lee, G. Seidman, M. Stonebraker, N. Tatbul, and S. Zdonik. Monitoring streams-a new class of data management applications. In VLDB, Hong Kong, China, 2002.
- S. Chandrasekaran and M. Franklin. Streaming queries over streaming data. In VLDB, 2002.
- J. Chen, D. J. DeWitt, F. Tian, and Y. Wang. NiagaraCQ: A scalable continuous query system for internet databases. In SIGMOD, pages 379–390, May 2000.
- Yanlei Diao and Michael J. Franklin. Query processing for high-volume xml message brokering. In VLDB 2003, pages 261–272, 2003.
- Lukasz Golab and M. Tamer Özsu. Issues in data stream management. ACM SIGMOD Record, 32(2):5–14, 2003. CrossRef
- J. Han, Y. Fu, W. Wang, K. Koperski, and O. R. Zaiane. DMQL: A data mining query language for relational databases. In Workshop on Research Issues on Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (DMKD), pages 27–33, Montreal, Canada, June 1996.
- J. M. Hellerstein, P. J. Hass, and H. J. Wang. Online aggregation. In SIGMOD, 1997.
- T. Imielinski and A. Virmani. MSQL: a query language for database mining. Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 3:373–408, 1999. CrossRef
- Informix. Informix: Datablade developers kid infoshelf. http://www.informix.co.za/answers/english/docs/dbdk/infoshelf, 1998.
- H. Jagadish, I. Mumick, and A. Silberschatz. View maintenance issues for the chronicle data model. In PODS, pages 113–124, 1995.
- D. E. Knuth, J. H. Morris, and V. R. Pratt. Fast pattern matching in strings. SUM Journal of Computing, 6(2):323–350, June 1977. CrossRef
- Y-N Law, H. Wang, and C. Zaniolo. Query Languages and Data Models for Database Sequences and Data Streams In VLDB, 2004.
- L. Liu, C. Pu, and W. Tang. Continual queries for internet scale event-driven information delivery. IEEE TKDE, 11(4):583–590, August 1999.
- G. Linoff M. J. A. Berry. Data Mining Techniques: For Marketing, Sales, and Customer Support. John Wiley, 1997.
- Sam Madden, Mehul A. Shah, Joseph M. Hellerstein, and Vijayshankar Raman. Continuously adaptive continuous queries over streams. In SIGMOD, pages 49–61, 2002.
- R. Meo, G. Psaila, and S. Ceri. A new SQL-like operator for mining association rules. In VLDB, pages 122–133, Bombay, India, 1996.
- C. Perng and D. Parker. SQL/LPP: A Time Series Extension of SQL Based on Limited Patience Patterns In DEXA, 1999.
- R. Ramakrishnan, D. Donjerkovic, A. Ranganathan, K. Beyer, and M. Krishnaprasad. Srql: Sorted relational query language, 1998.
- Reza Sadri. Optimization of Sequence Queries in Database Systems. PhD thesis, University of California, Los Angeles, 2001.
- Reza Sadri, Carlo Zaniolo, and Amir M. Zarkesh and Jafar Adibi. A sequential pattern query language for supporting instant data minining for e-services. In VLDB, pages 653–656, 2001.
- Reza Sadri, Carlo Zaniolo, Amir Zarkesh, and Jafar Adibi. Optimization of sequence queries in database systems. In PODS, Santa Barbara, CA, May 2001.
- S. Sarawagi, S. Thomas, and R. Agrawal. Integrating association rule mining with relational database systems: Alternatives and implications. In SIGMOD, 1998.
- P. Seshadri. Predator: A resource for database research. SIGMOD Record, 27(1): 16–20, 1998. CrossRef
- Praveen Seshadri, Miron Livny, and Raghu Ramakrishnan. Sequence query processing. In Richard T. Snodgrass and Marianne Winslett, editors, Proceedings of the 1994 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pages 430–441. ACM Press, 1994.
- Praveen Seshadri and Arun N. Swami. Generalized partial indexes. In Proceedings of Eleventh International Conference on Data Engineering 1995, pages 420–427. IEEE Computer Society, 1995.
- M. Sullivan. Tribeca: A stream database manager for network traffic analysis. In VLDB, 1996.
- D. Terry, D. Goldberg, D. Nichols, and B. Oki. Continuous queries over append-only databases. In SIGMOD, pages 321–330, 6 1992. CrossRef
- Haixun Wang and Carlo Zaniolo. Using SQL to build new aggregates and extenders for object-relational systems. In VLDB, 2000.
- Haixun Wang and Carlo Zaniolo. Extending sql for decision support applications. In Proceedings of the 4th Intl. Workshop on Design and Management of Data Warehouses (DMDW), pages 1–2, 2002.
- Haixun Wang and Carlo Zaniolo. ATLaS: A native extension of sql for data mining. In SDM, San Francisco, CA, 5 2003.
- C. A. Wright, L. Cumberland, and Y. Feng. A performance comparison between five string pattern matching algorithms. Technical Report, Dec. 1998. http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~cawright/pattern.matching.html.
- Fred Zemke, Krishna Kulkarni, Andy Witkowski, and Bob Lyle. Proposal for OLAP functions. In ISO/IEC JTC1/SC32 WG3:YGJ-nnn, ANSI NCITS H2-99-155, 1999.
- Efficient Support for Time Series Queries in Data Stream Management Systems
- Book Title
- Stream Data Management
- pp 113-132
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Advances in Database Systems
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.