Portfolio Selection with Skewness
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Konno et al. (1993) proposed a method for incorporating skewness into the portfolio optimization problem. This paper extends their technique and proposes a modification which leads to portfolios with improved characteristics. The model is then used to analyze the potential for put options to increase the skewness of portfolios. This strategy is tested with historical returns on a portfolio of TSE stocks. Compared to the Konno et al. (1993) approach our resulting portfolio has higher skewness and lower variance; with expected return being equal.
- Boyle, Phelim P. and Ananthananarayanan, A.L. (1979). The impact of variance estimation in option valuation models. Journal of Financial Economics, 6:375–388.
- Davies, R. J., Kat H. M., and Lu, S. (2004). Fund of Hedge Fund Portfolio Selection: A Multiple Objective Approach. Working paper, Cass Business School, City University, London UK
- Kahneman, D. and Tversky A. (1979). Prospect theory: an analysis of decision under risk. Econometrica, 47:263–292.
- Konno, H., Shirakawa, H., and Yamazaki, H. (1993). A mean-absolute deviation-skewness portfolio optimization model. Annals of Operations Research, 45:205–220. CrossRef
- Lee, P.J. (1992). Portfolio selection in the presence of options and the distribution of return of portfolios containing options. 3rd AFIR International Colloquium, 2:691–709.
- Markowitz, H. (1952). Portfolio selection. Journal of Finance, 7:77–91.
- Levy, H. and Levy, M. (2004). Prospect theory and mean-variance analysis. Review of Financial Studies, 17:1015–1041. CrossRef
- Sun, Q. and Yan, Y. (2003). Skewness persistence with optimal portfolio selection. Journal of Banking and Finance, 27:1111–1121. CrossRef
- Portfolio Selection with Skewness
- Book Title
- Numerical Methods in Finance
- pp 227-240
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media, Inc.
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.