Integration of Formal Verification and Debugging Methods in P-GRADE Environment
Purchase on Springer.com
$29.95 / €24.95 / £19.95*
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper we present a combined method, which enables the collaboration of parallel debugging techniques with simulation and verification of parallel program’s coloured Petri-net model in the frame of an integrated development environment. For parallel applications, written in the hybrid graphical language of P-GRADE, the coloured Petri-net model can be automatically generated. The Occurrence Graph (a kind of state-space) is constructed straight away from the model by the GRSIM simulation engine, which allows examining and querying the Occurrence Graph for critical information, such as dead-locks, wrong termination, or the meeting the temporal logic specification. Based on the obtained information the macrostep-based execution can be steered towards the erroneous situations assisting to users to improve the quality of their software.
- Kacsuk, P., Dozsa, G. and Fadgyas, T.: Designing Parallel Programs by the Graphical Language GRAPNEL. Microprocessing and Microprogramming, No. 41 (1996), pp. 625–643
- Meta Software Corporation: Desgin/CPN. A Tool Package Supporting the Use of Colored Petri Nets. Technical Report, Cambridge, MA, USA, 1991
- Jensen, K.: Coloured Petri Nets. Basic Concepts, Analysis Methods and Practical Use. Volume 2, Analysis Methods. Monographs in Theoretical Computer Science, Springer-Verlag, 1994. ISBN: 3-540-58276-2
- Vecsei, B., Lovas, R.: Debugging Method for Parallel Programs Based on Petri-net Representation. Proc. of microCAD International Scientific Conference, 18–19 March 2004, pp. 413–420
- Kovacs, J., Kusper, G., Lovas, R., Shreiner, W.: Integrating Temporal Assertions into a Parallel Debugger. Proc. of the 8th International, Euro-Par Conference, Paderborn, Germany, pp. 113–120, 2002
- Tsiatsoulis, Z., Dozsa, G., Cotronis, Y., Kacsuk, P.: Associating Composition of Petri Net Specifications with Application Designs in Grade. Proc. of the Seventh Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Processing, Funchal, Portugal, pp. 204–211, 1999.
- Lovas, R., Kacsuk, P., Horvath, A., Horanyi, A.: Application of P-GRADE Development Environment in Meteorology. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing Practices, Special issue on DAPSYS 2002, Nova, Science Publishers (accepted for publication)
- Kranzlmuller, D., Rimnac, A.: Parallel Program Debugging with MAD-A Practical Approach. Proc. International Conference on Computational Science 2003, pp. 201–212
- Kacsuk, P.: Systematic Macrostep Debugging of Message Passing Parallel Programs. Journal of Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 609–624, 2000.
- Tarafdar, A., Garg, V.K.: Predicate control for active debugging of distributed programs. Proc. of IPPS/SPDP-98, pages 763–769, Los Alamitos, March 30–April 3 1998.
- Frey, M., Oberhuber, M.: Testing and Debugging Parallel and Distributed Programs with Temporal Logic Specifications. Proc. of Second Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Software Engeneering 1997, pages 62–72, Boston, May 1997.
- Lourenco, J., Cunha, J.C.: Fiddle: A Flexible Distributed Debugging Architecture. Proc. of ICCS 2001, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2001, pp. 821–830
- Bruneton, E., Pradat-Peyre, J.-F. Automatic verification of concurrent Ada programs. Ada-Europe’99 International Conference on Reliable Software Technologies (Santander, Spain), pp. 146–157.
- Rondogiannis, P., Cheng, M.H.M: Petri-net-based deadlock analysis of Process Algebra programs. Science of Computer Programming, 1994. Vol. 23(1), pp. 55–89. CrossRef
- Dwyer, M.B., Clarke, L.A., Nies, K.A.: A compact petri net representation for concurrent programs. Technical Report TR 94-46, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1994.
- Kacsuk, P. et al.: P-GRADE: a Grid Programming Environment. Journal of Grid Computing Volume 1, Issue 2, 2003, pp. 171–197 CrossRef
- Integration of Formal Verification and Debugging Methods in P-GRADE Environment
- Book Title
- Distributed and Parallel Systems
- Book Subtitle
- Cluster and Grid Computing
- Book Part
- Part III
- pp 83-92
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- The International Series in Engineering and Computer Science
- Series Volume
- Series ISSN
- Springer US
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science + Business Media, Inc.
- Additional Links
- parallel programming
- formal methods
- temporal logic
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. University of Veszprém
- 2. MTA SZTAKI
- 3. Johannes Kepler University
- Author Affiliations
- 4. Computer and Automation Research Institute, Hungarian Academy of Sciences (MTA SZTAKI), Hungary
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.