Temperature variable optimization for precision machine tool thermal error compensation on optimal threshold
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Machine tool thermal error is an important reason for poor machining accuracy. Thermal error compensation is a primary technology in accuracy control. To build thermal error model, temperature variables are needed to be divided into several groups on an appropriate threshold. Currently, group threshold value is mainly determined by researchers experience. Few studies focus on group threshold in temperature variable grouping. Since the threshold is important in error compensation, this paper arms to find out an optimal threshold to realize temperature variable optimization in thermal error modeling. Firstly, correlation coefficient is used to express membership grade of temperature variables, and the theory of fuzzy transitive closure is applied to obtain relational matrix of temperature variables. Concepts as compact degree and separable degree are introduced. Then evaluation model of temperature variable clustering is built. The optimal threshold and the best temperature variable clustering can be obtained by setting the maximum value of evaluation model as the objective. Finally, correlation coefficients between temperature variables and thermal error are calculated in order to find out optimum temperature variables for thermal error modeling. An experiment is conducted on a precise horizontal machining center. In experiment, three displacement sensors are used to measure spindle thermal error and twenty-nine temperature sensors are utilized to detect the machining center temperature. Experimental result shows that the new method of temperature variable optimization on optimal threshold successfully worked out a best threshold value interval and chose seven temperature variables from twenty-nine temperature measuring points. The model residual of z direction is within 3 μm. Obviously, the proposed new variable optimization method has simple computing process and good modeling accuracy, which is quite fit for thermal error compensation.
- BRYAN J. International status of thermal error research[J]. CIRP Annals-Manufacturing Technology, 1990, 39(2): 645–656. CrossRef
- FERREIRA P M, LIU C R. A method for estimating and compensating quasistatic errors of machine tools[J]. Journal of Engineering for Industry, 1993, 115(1): 149–159. CrossRef
- MA Y J. Sensor placement optimization for thermal error compensation on machine tools[D]. Michigan: University of Michigan, 2001.
- DU Sheliang, FU Jianzhong, CHEN Zichen. Placement optimization of actuators and sensors in piezothermoelectric inelligent structures[J]. China Mechanical Engineering, 2000, 12(9): 1 054–1 057. (in Chinese)
- LIN Weiqing, FU Jianzhong. Research on optimization of temperature sensors in the modeling of thermally induced error of NC machine tool[J]. Group Technology & Production Modernization, 2007, 24(3): 5–9. (in Chinese)
- CHEN J S, YUAN J, NI J. Thermal error modeling for real-time error compensation[J]. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 1996, 12(4): 266–275. CrossRef
- SHEN Jinhua, ZHAO Haitao, ZHANG Hongtao, et al. The selection and modeling of temperature variables for the thermal error compensation on machine tools[J]. Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University, 2006, 40(2): 181–184. (in Chinese).
- VELDHUIS S C, ELBESTAWI M A. A strategy for the compensation of errors in five axis machining[J]. Annals of the CIRP, 1995, 44(1): 373–377. CrossRef
- YU Jin, ZHAO Shuguo, YU Zhiming. Research on recognition of thermal distortion key points and compensation method in NC machine tool[J]. Machinery Design & Manufacture, 2006 (6): 73–74. (in Chinese)
- YANG Jianguo, DENG Weiguo, REN Yongqiang, et al. Grouping optimization modeling by selection of temperature variables for the thermal error compensation on machine tools[J]. China Mechanical Engineering, 2004, 15(6): 478–480. (in Chinese)
- ZHANG Yiqun, LI Shuhe, ZHANG Guoxiong. Study on temperature measurement points selection for machine tool thermal deformation model[J]. Aviation Precision Manufacturing Technology, 1999, 32(6): 37–39. (in Chinese)
- LI Y X, YANG J G, GELVIS T, et al. Optimization of measuring points for machine tool thermal error based on grey system theory[J]. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2008, 35: 745–750. CrossRef
- YAN J Y, YANG J G. Application of synthetic grey correlation theory on thermal point optimization for machine tool thermal error compensation[J]. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 2009, 43: 1 124–1 132. CrossRef
- Temperature variable optimization for precision machine tool thermal error compensation on optimal threshold
Chinese Journal of Mechanical Engineering
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 158-165
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society
- Additional Links
- precision machine tool
- thermal error
- cluster analysis
- Author Affiliations
- 1. College of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing, 210016, China
- 2. School of Mechanical Engineering, Nanjing Institute of Technology, Nanjing, 211167, China