A scale for measuring attitude toward cheating
A “study guide technique” that successfully detected cheating in college students is described. Also, details of the construction of an attitude toward cheating (ATC) scale are presented. The ATC scale was found to have adequate reliability. Preliminary evidence of scale validity was provided by (1) a correlation of −.30 between ATC scores and cheating on the study guide and (2) a more negative attitude toward cheating (as measured by the ATC scale) exhibited by faculty than by students.
- Barlow, J. A. (1967). Note: Student cheating in studying programmed material. Psychological Record, 17, 515–516.
- Barton, E. J. (1982). Facilitating student veracity: Instructor application of behavioral technology to self modification projects. Teaching of Psychology, 9, 99–101. CrossRef
- Forsyth, D. R., Pope, W. R., & McMillan, J. H.. (1985). Students’ reactions after cheating: An attributional analysis. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 10, 72–82. CrossRef
- Forsyth, D. R., & Scott, W. L. (1984). Attributions and moral judgments: Kohlberg’s stage theory of taxonomy of moral attributions. Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 22, 321–323. CrossRef
- Gardner, W. M., & Roper, J. T. (1986). CII Study Guide for Principles of Psychology. Jacksonville, AL: The Psychology Institute, Jacksonville State University.
- Hill, J. P., & Kochendorfer, R. A. (1969). Knowledge of peer success and risk of detection as determinants of cheating. Developmental Psychology, 1, 231–238. CrossRef
- Mills, J. (1958). Changes in moral attitudes following temptation. Journal of Personality, 26, 517–531. CrossRef
- Schmitt, N., Gooding, R. Z., Noe, R. A., & Kirsch, M. (1984). Meta-analyses of validity studies published between 1964 and 1982 and the investigations of study characteristics. Personnel Psychology, 37, 407–421. CrossRef
- Shelton, J., & Hill, J. P. (1969). Effects on cheating of achievement anxiety and knowledge of peer performance. Developmental Psychology, 1, 449–455. CrossRef
- Winston, A. S. (1978). Experimental analysis of admission of cheating: An exploratory study. Psychological Record, 28, 517–523.
- Worthington, E. L. (1977). Honesty and success in self-modification projects for a college class. Teaching of Psychology, 4, 78–82. CrossRef
- A scale for measuring attitude toward cheating
Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society
Volume 26, Issue 5 , pp 429-432
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links