Early-handling and social-rearing effects on dominance-subordination behavior in the adult rat
Effects of early handling and social rearing on dominance behavior were studied using the method of fixed-pair comparisons. Handled rats (in competition with nonhandled controls) were dominant, especially where both competitors were raised in social isolation. Socially-raised rats (in competition with isolation-raised rats) were dominant but only where both competitors were early-handled.
- BECKER, G. Social dominance and subordination in the rat as a function of postweaning electrical stimulation. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 1965, 107, 349–369. CrossRef
- GINSBURG, B., & ALLEE, W. C. Some effects of conditioning on social dominance and subordination in inbred strains of mice. Physiological Zoology, 1942, 15, 485–506.
- HUTCHINSON, R. R., ULRICH, R. E., & AZRIN, N. H. Effects of age and related factors on the pain-aggression reaction. Journal of Comparative & Physiological Psychology, 1965, 59, 365–369. CrossRef
- JANSSEN, P. A. J., JAGENEAU, A. H., & NIEMEGEERS, C. J. E. Effects of various drugs on isolation-induced fighting behavior of male mice. Journal of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics, 1960, 129, 471–475.
- KING, J. A. Relationships between early social experience and adult aggressive behavior in inbred mice. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 1957, 90, 151–166. CrossRef
- KING, J. A., & GURNEY, N. L. Effect of early social experience on adult aggressive behavior in C57BL/10 mice. Journal of Comparative & Physiological Psychology, 1954, 47, 326–330. CrossRef
- MEZEI, T. C., & ROSEN, J. Dominance behavior as a function of infantile stimulation in the rat. Archives of General Psychiatry, 1960, 3, 53–56. CrossRef
- ROSEN, J. Dominance behavior as a function of post-weaning gentling in the albino rat. Canadian Journal of Psychology, 1958, 12, 229–234. CrossRef
- ROSEN, J. Dominance behavior of the adult rat as a function of early social experience. Journal of Genetic Psychology, 1961, 99, 145–151. CrossRef
- ROSEN, J., & HART, F. M. Effects of early social isolation upon adult timidity and dominance in peromyscus. Psychological Reports, 1963, 13, 47–50. CrossRef
- SEWARD, J. P. Aggressive behavior in the rat: IV. Submission as determined by conditioning, extinction, and disuse. Journal of Comparative Psychology, 1946, 39, 51–76. CrossRef
- THOMPSON, W. R., & MELZACK, R. Early environment. Scientific American, 1956, 194, 38–42. CrossRef
- UYENO, E. T. Hereditary and environmental aspects of dominant behavior in the albino rat. Journal of Comparative & Physiological Psychology, 1960, 53, 138–141. CrossRef
- UYENO, E. T., & BENSON, W. M. Effects of lysergic acid diethylamide on attack behavior of male albino mice. Psychopharmacologia, 1965, 7, 20–26. CrossRef
- UYENO, E. T., & White, M. Social isolation and dominance behavior. Journal of Comparative & Physiological Psychology. 1967, 63, 157–159. CrossRef
- WARD, I. L., & GERALL, A. A. Dominance behavior in socially isolated rats. Psychonomic Science, 1968, 13, 39–40.
- YEN, H. C. Y., STANGER, R. L., & MILLMAN, N. Isolation-induced aggressive behavior in ataractic test. Journal of Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics. 1958, 122, 85.
- Early-handling and social-rearing effects on dominance-subordination behavior in the adult rat
Volume 15, Issue 1 , pp 27-28
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links