Facilitation of auditory word recognition
An experiment that investigated facilitation of recognition of spoken words presented in noise IS described, Prior to the test session, the subjects either read words or heard them spoken in one of two. voices while making a semantic judgment upon them. There was a large effect of auditory priming on word recognition that did not depend upon the voice (male or female) of presentation, There were much smaller, but significant, effects of prior visual experience of the words. The implications of these data for the logogen model are discussed.
- Becker, C. A. (1976). llocation of attention during visual word recognition.Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance,2, 556–566. CrossRef
- Clarke, R. G. B., &Morton, J. (1983). The effects of priming in visual word recognition.Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology,35A, 79–96.
- Durso, E T., &Johnson, M. K. (1979). Facilitation in naming and categorizing repeated pictures and words.Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Learning and Memory,5, 449–459. CrossRef
- Ellis, A. W. (1982). Modality-specific repetition: Priming of auditory word recognition.Current Psychological Research,2, 123–128. CrossRef
- Gipson, P. (1984).A study of the long-term priming of auditory word recognition. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Cambridge.
- Jacoby, L. L., &Dallas, M. (1981). On the relationship between autobiographical memory and perceptual learning.Journal of Experimental Psychology: General,110, 306–340. CrossRef
- Kempley, S. T., &Morton, J. (1982). The effects of priming with regularly and irregularly related words in auditory word recognition.British Journal of Psychology,73, 441–454.
- Kolers, P. A. (1968). The recognition of geometrically transformed text.Perception & Psychophysics,3, 57–64. CrossRef
- Kolers, P. A. (1975). Memorial consequences of automatized encoding.Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Learning and Memory,1, 689–701. CrossRef
- Kûcera, H., &Francis, W.N. (1967).Computational analysis of present-day American English. Providence, RI: Brown University Press.
- Morton, J. (1964). A preliminary functional model for language behaviour.International Audiology,3, 216–225. CrossRef
- Morton, J. (1969). The interaction of information in word recognition.Psychological Review,76, 165–178. CrossRef
- Morton, J. (1970). A functional model for memory. In D. A. Norman (Ed.),Models of human memory. New York: Academic Press.
- Morton, J. (1979a) Facilitation in word recognition: Experiments causing change in the logogen model. In P. A. Kolers, M. E. Wrolstad, & H. Bouma (Eds.),Processing of visible language. New York: Plenum.
- Morton J. (1979b). Word recognition. In J. Morton & J. C. Marshall (Eds.),Psycholinguistic series II. London: Elek Scientific Books.
- Morton, J. (1980a). The logogen model and orthographic structure. In U. Frith (Ed.),Cognitive processes in spelling. London: Academic Press.
- Morton, J. (1980b). Two auditory parallels to deep dyslexia. In M. Coltheart, K. Patterson, & J. C. Marshall (Eds.),Deep dyslexia. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Morton, J. (1981). The status of information processing models of language.Philosophical transactions of the Royal Society of London,B, 295, 387–396. CrossRef
- Morton, J., &Patterson, K. (1980). A new attempt at an interpretation. In M. Coltheart, K. Patterson, & J. C. Marshall (Eds.),Deep dyslexia. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- Murrell, G. A., &Morton, J. (1974). Word recognition and morphemic structure.Journal of Experimental Psychology,102, 963–968. CrossRef
- Newbigging, P. L. (1961). The perceptual redintegration of frequent and infrequent words.Canadian Journal of Psychology,15, 123–132. CrossRef
- Postman, L., &Rosenzweig, M. R. (1956). Practice and transfer in the visual and auditory recognition of verbal stimuli.American Journal of Psychology,69, 209–226. CrossRef
- Savin, H. B. (1963). Word-frequency effect and errors in the perception of speech.Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,35, 200–206. CrossRef
- Warren, C., &Morton, J. (1982). The effects of priming on picture recognition.British Journal of Psychology,73, 117–129.
- Winnick, W. A., &Daniel, S. A. (1970). Two kinds of response priming in tachistoscopic recognition.Journal of Experimental Psychology,84, 74–81. CrossRef
- Facilitation of auditory word recognition
Memory & Cognition
Volume 12, Issue 6 , pp 568-574
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors