Absolute sensitivity to white noise under auxiliary visual stimulation1
Absolute sensitivity to white noise was measured with the O in the dark, in constant illumination, and in the dark but with sound-synchronized flashes of light at three different intensities. A confidence rating procedure was used, and the results were analyzed in terms of the theory of signal detectability. There appeared to be no consistent effect of auxiliary visual stimulation on absolute auditory sensitivity for the four Os examined.
- CHILD, I, & WENDT, G. R. The temporal course of the influence of visual stimulation upon the auditory threshold. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1938, 23,109–127. CrossRef
- EGAN, J. P., SCHULMAN, A. I., & GREENBERG, G. Z. Memory for waveform and time uncertainty in auditory detection. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 1961, 33 779–781. CrossRef
- GREEN, D. M., & SWETS, J. A.Signal detection theory and psychophysics. New York: Wiley, 1966.
- GREGG, L. W., & BROGDEN, W. J. The effect of simultaneous visual stimulation on absolute auditory sensitivity. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1952, 43, 179–186. CrossRef
- LONDON, I. D. Research on sensory interaction in the Soviet Union. Psychological Bulletin, 1954, 51, 531–568. CrossRef
- ÖZBAYDAR, S. The effects of darkness and light on auditory sensitivity. British Journal of Psychology, 1961, 52, 285–291.
- SHERIDAN, J. A., CIMBALO, R. S., SILLS, J. A., & ALLUISI, E. A. Effects of darkness, constant illumination, and synchronized photic stimulation on auditory sensitivity to pulsed tones. Psychonomic Science, 1966, 5, 311–312.
- THOMPSON, R. F., VOSS, J. F., & BROGDEN, W. J. Effect of brightness of simultaneous visual stimulation on absolute auditory sensitivity. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1958, 55, 45–50. CrossRef
- TREISMAN, M. The effect of one stimulus on the threshold for another: An application of signal detectability theory. British Journal of Statistical Psychology, 1964, 17, 15–35.
- Absolute sensitivity to white noise under auxiliary visual stimulation1
Perception & Psychophysics
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 176-178
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors