Persistence of social investigatory behavior in the male rat: Evidence for long-term memory of initial copulatory experience
The duration of active social investigation by sexually mature male rats, following exposure to a novel conspecific, was investigated to assess the influence of former social experience. In Experiments 1 and 2, pretest social isolation of older males with extensive heterosexual experience and of younger males with limited heterosexual experience failed to affect their subsequent persistence in social investigation. Older and sexually experienced rats, however, engaged in significantly less investigatory behavior than did younger, sexually inexperienced males. Experiments 3, 4, and 5 demonstrated that this difference was associated with prior copulatory experience. A single copulatory series with either an intact female or a hormone-primed castrate female effected a significant and sustained decrease in social investigatory behavior. The results are interpreted as demonstrating a form of long-term memory for associations formed during initial copulatory experience.
- Barnett, S. A. The rat: A study in behavior (Rev. ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1975.
- Beach, F. A. Characteristics of masculine “sex drive.” In M. R. Jones (Ed.),Nebraska Symposium on Motivation. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1956.
- Beach, F. A. Social attractivity, proceptivity, and receptivity in female mammals.Hormones and Behavior, 1976,7, 105–138. CrossRef
- Carr, W. J. Pheromonal sex attractants in the Norway rat. In L. Krames, P. Pliner, & T. Alloway (Eds.),Advances in the study of communication and affect: Nonverbal communication (Vol. 1). New York: Plenum Press, 1974.
- Grant, E. C., &Mackintosh, J. H. A comparison of the social postures of some common laboratory rodents.Behaviour, 1963,21, 246–259. CrossRef
- Latané, B., &Steele, C. The persistence of social attraction in socially deprived and satiated rats.Animal Learning & Behavior, 1975,3, 131–134.
- Sloan, L., &Latané, B. Sex and sociability in rats.Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 1974,10, 147–158. CrossRef
- Thor, D. H. Olfactory perception and inclusive fitness.Physiological Psychology, 1979,7, 303–306.
- Thor, D. H. Testosterone and persistence of social investigation in laboratory rats.Journal of Comparative and Physiological Psychology, 1980,94, 970–976. CrossRef
- Thor, D. H., Wainwrioht, K. L., & Holloway, W. R. Persistence of attention to a novel conspeeific: Some developmental variables in laboratory rats.Developmental Psychobiology, in press.
- Persistence of social investigatory behavior in the male rat: Evidence for long-term memory of initial copulatory experience
Animal Learning & Behavior
Volume 9, Issue 4 , pp 561-565
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links