Balanced and unbalanced, complete and partial transparency
Beck, Prazdny, and Ivry’s (1984) interpretation of Metelli’s theory of phenomenal transparency is reexamined here. There are no constraints, because the theory considers only balanced transparency and nothing is asserted against the existence of forms of unbalanced transparency. Experiment 4 of the present study proves that conditions of intensity are primary for complete balanced transparency and cannot be overcome if figural conditions strongly suggest transparency. The equation α = (p−q)/(a−b) does not require further restrictions because the cases cited by Beck et al. concern nonbalanced transparency. Experiment i proves that figural conditions cannot be considered primary and thus be the cause of the perception of transparency. The present paper reports that, contrary to the results Beck et al. obtained in their Experiment 4, a series of experiments in which experienced subjects were used and in which estimation of transparency was compared with predictions calculated with the α formula gave satisfactory results. Beck et al.’s thesis, according to which α ∈ α′ hinders transparency whereas t ∈ t′ allows it, is confirmed. Experienced subjects and simple instructions appear to yield clearer results.
- Beck.J, Prazdny, K, &Ivry, R (1984). The perception of transparency with achromatic colorsPerception& Psychophysics,35, 407–422
- Da Pos, O, Cavedon, A, & Izzinoso, F. (1985). La stima soggettiva der parametri della trasparenzaAtti e Memorie dell’Accademia Patavina di Scienze, Lettere ed Artt.97
- Heider, G M. (1933) New studies in transparency, form and color.Psychologische Forschung,17, 13–56. CrossRef
- Koffka, K. (1935)Principles of Gestalt psychology. New York. Harcourt Brace.
- Metelli.F (1970) An algebraic development of the theory of perceptual transparencyErgonomics,13, 59–66. CrossRef
- Metelli, F. (1974a) Achromatic color conditions in the perception of transparency In R. B Macleod & H. L. Pick (Eds),Perception (pp 95–116). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Metelli, F (1974b) The perception of transparency.Scientific American,230(4), 90–98 CrossRef
- Metelli, F. (1975) On the visual perception of transparency. In G. B. Flores D’Arcais (Ed),Studies in perception (pp. 445–487). Milan Martello.
- Metelli F (1982).Stimulation and perception of transparency (Report No. 73). Padua, Italy: University of Padua, Institute of Psychology
- Metelli, F. (1985). Su alcune condizioni spazio-figurali della trasparenza. In W. Gerbino (Ed),Conoscenza e struttura (pp. 303–331). Bologna: Il Mulino.
- Metzoer, W. (1955). Über Durchsichtigkeits-Erscheinungen (Vorlaufige Mitteilung).Rivista di Psicologia,49, 187–189
- Morinaga, S., Noguchi, K., &Osihi, A. (1962) Dominance of mum direction in the apparent transparency.Japanese Psychological Research,4, 113–128.
- Petter, G. (1960). Osservazioni sulla trasparenza fenomenicaRivista di Psicologia,54, 183–186.
- Remondino, C. (1975). Achromatic color conditions in the perception of transparency. The development of an analytical model. In G. B Flores D’Arcais. (Ed.),Studies in perception (pp. 111–138). Milan: Martello.
- Balanced and unbalanced, complete and partial transparency
Perception & Psychophysics
Volume 38, Issue 4 , pp 354-366
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors