Response burden, reliability, and validity of the CAGE, Short MAST, and AUDIT alcohol screening measures
We administered the CAGE, the Short MAST, and the AUDIT to 832 clients at drinking driver treatment programs in Southern California. Correlations among the alcohol screening measures ranged from 0.62 (CAGE and AUDIT) to 0.70 (CAGE and Short MAST). As expected, response time for the CAGE was quicker than for the Short MAST and the AUDIT, but the internal consistency reliability of the CAGE was the lowest and the standard error of measurement largest. Moreover, greater support was found for the relative validity of the Short MAST and AUDIT than the CAGE. The CAGE provides a substantial amount of information quickly, but more reliable and valid information can be obtained with the short MAST or AUDIT measures, which require an additional 1-2 min to administer.
- Babor, T. F., &Grant, M. G. (1989). From clinical research to secondary prevention: International collaboration in the development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT).Alcohol Health & Research World,13, 371–374.
- Cronbach, L. J. (1951). Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika,16, 297–334. CrossRef
- Hays, J. T., &Spickard, W. A. (1987). Alcoholism: Early diagnosis and intervention.Journal of General Internal Medicine,2, 420–427. CrossRef
- Hays, R. D.,Bell, R.,Gillogly, J. J.,Hill, L.,Giroux, D.,Davis, C.,Lewis, M. W.,Damush, T. M., &Nicholas, R. (1995).Impact of response options and feedback about response inconsistencies on alcohol use self-reports by microcomputer. Submitted for publication.
- Hays, R. D., Gillogly, J. J., Hill, L., Lewis, M. W., Bell, R. M., &Nicholas, R. (1992). A Microcomputer Assessment System (MAS) for administering computer-based surveys: Preliminary results from administration to clients at an impaired-driver treatment program.Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers,24, 358–365.
- Hays, R. D., Hayashi, T., &Stewart, A. L. (1989). A five-item measure of socially desirable response set.Educational & Psychological Measurement,49, 629–636. CrossRef
- Hays, R. D., Hill, L., Gillogly, J. J., Lewis, M. W., Bell, R. M., &Nicholas, R. (1993). Response times for the CAGE, Short MAST, AUDIT, and JELLINEK Alcohol Scales.Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers,25, 304–307.
- Hays, R. D., &Revetto, J. P. (1992). Old and new MMPI-derived scales and the Short-MAST as screening tools for alcohol disorder.Alcohol & Alcoholism,27, 685–695.
- Liang, M. H., Larson, M. G., Cullen, K. E., &Schwartz, J. A. (1985). Comparative measurement efficiency and sensitivity of five health status instruments for arthritis research.Arthritis & Rheumatism,28, 542–547. CrossRef
- Magruder-Habib, K., Durand, M., &Frey, K. A. (1991). Alcohol abuse and alcoholism in primary health care settings.Journal of Family Practice,32, 406–413.
- Mayfield, D., McLeod, G., &Hall, P. (1974). The CAGE questionnaire: Validation of a new alcoholism screening instrument.American Journal of Psychiatry,131, 1121–1123.
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978).Psychometric theory. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Rost, K., Burnam, A., &Smith, G. R. (1993). Development of screeners for depressive disorders and substance disorder history.Medical Care,31, 189–200. CrossRef
- Selzer, M. L. (1971). The Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test: The quest for a new diagnostic instrument.American Journal of Psychiatry,127, 1653–1658.
- Selzer, M. L., Vinokur, A., &Van Rooijan, L. (1975). A selfadministered Short Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test (SMAST).Journal of Studies on Alcohol,36, 117–126.
- Skinner, H. A. (1979). A multivariate evaluation of the MAST.Journal of Studies on Alcohol,40, 831–844.
- Skinner, H. A. (1982). The Drug Abuse Screening Test.Addictive Behaviors,7, 363–371. CrossRef
- Steiger, J. H. (1980). Tests for comparing elements of a correlation matrix.Psychological Bulletin,87, 245–251. CrossRef
- Tucker, J. A., Vuchinich, R. E., Harris, C. V., Gavornik, M. G., &Rudd, E. J. (1991). Agreement between subject and collateral verbal reports of alcohol consumption in older adults.Journal of Studies on Alcohol,52, 148–155.
- Wilson, R. J. (1993). Drinking and driving: In search of solutions to an international problem.Alcohol Health & Research World,17, 212–220.
- Zobeck, T. S., Williams, G. D., Grant, B. F., &Bertolucci, D. (1990). Years of potential life lost and other trends in alcohol-related fatal traffic crashes: 1977-1987.Alcohol Health & Research World,14, 63–68.
- Response burden, reliability, and validity of the CAGE, Short MAST, and AUDIT alcohol screening measures
Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 277-280
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors