A simple method using a single video camera to determine the three-dimensional position of a fish
In the present paper, we describe a method for recording the coordinates of a fish in an aquarium in a three-dimensional space, using a single video camera and a mirror. We use photogrammetic equations for this, considering the image obtained in the mirror as a virtual image obtained by a second camera. A transformation of the coordinate system is required to express the obtained coordinates in anx,y,z system defined by the edges of the aquarium. The accuracy of the proposed method was estimated, and errors in extreme conditions were found to be 0.8% to 1.2 %, compared with the dimensions of the aquarium used in the test.
- Coughlin, D. J., Strickler, J. R., &Sanderson, B. (1992). Swimming and search behaviour in clownfish,Amphiprion perideraion, larvae.Animal Behaviour,44, 427–440. CrossRef
- Cullen, J. M., Shaw, E., &Baldwin, H. A. (1965). Methods for measuring the three-dimensional structures of fish schools.Animal Behaviour,13, 534–543. CrossRef
- Dahmen, H.-J., &Zeil, J. (1984). Recording and reconstructing three-dimensional trajectories: A versatile method for the field biologist.Proceedings of the Royal Society of London: Series B,222, 107–113. CrossRef
- Dambach, M. (1963). Vergleichende Untersuchungen Über das Schwarmverhalten von Tilapia-Jungfischen (Cichlidae, Teleostei).Zeitschrift für Tierpsychologie,20, 267–296. CrossRef
- Dill, L. M., Dunbrack, R. L., &Major, P. F. (1981). A new stereophotographic technique for analyzing the three-dimensional structure of fish schools.Environmental Biology of Fishes,6, 7–13. CrossRef
- Harrington, S. (1987).Computer graphics: A programming approach (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill International Editions.
- Partridge, B. L., Pitcher, T. J., Cullen, J. M., &Wilson, J. (1980). The three-dimensional structure of fish schools.Behavioral Ecology & Sociobiology,6, 277–288. CrossRef
- Pitcher, T. J. (1973). The three-dimensional structure of schools in the minnow,Phoxinus phoxinus (L.).Animal Behaviour,21, 673–686. CrossRef
- Pitcher, T. J. (1975). A periscopic method for determining the three-dimensional positions of fish in schools.Journal of Fisheries Research Board of Canada,32, 1533–1538.
- Symons, P. E. K. (1971a). Estimating distances between fish schooling in an aquarium.Journal of Fisheries Research Board of Canada,28, 1805–1806.
- Symons, P. E. K. (1971b). Spacing and density in schooling threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) and mummichog (Fundulus heteroclistus).Journal of Fisheries Research Board of Canada,28, 999–1004.
- Wolf, P. R. (1985).Elements of photogrammetry, with air photo interpretation and remote sensing (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- A simple method using a single video camera to determine the three-dimensional position of a fish
Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers
Volume 26, Issue 4 , pp 443-446
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors