Developing an efficient clinical information system for a comprehensive psychiatric institute: II. Initial evaluation form
This paper describes the objectives, design, organization, content, evaluation, and implementation of the initial evaluation form, first component of a comprehensive psychiatric institute’s clinical information system. Major features of this effort are the involvement of a large number of clinicians in the form’s development, the use of complementary narrative and standardized components, the use of an expanded DSM-III multiaxial diagnostic format, pilot testing with over 1,000 patients, the evaluation of the form’s usefulness and interrater reliability, the form’s computerization, facilitating data retrieval and coordination with other institutional data bases, and the form’s monitoring.
- Mezzich, J. E.Manual of the comprehensive psychiatric assessment schedule (technical report). Stanford, Calif: Stanford University, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, 1977.
- American Psychiatric Association.Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed.) (DMS-III). Washington, D.C: Author, 1980.
- Babtko, J. J., &Carpenter, W. T. On the methods and theory of reliability.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 1976,163, 307–371. CrossRef
- Dow, J. T. Designing computer software for information systems in psychiatry.Computers in Biomedical Research, 1975,8, 538–559. CrossRef
- Henderson, P. B., Magnussen, M. G., Snyderman, B. B., &Homann, J. A clinical decision-making model for child psychiatric intervention selection.Psychological Reports, 1975,37, 923–934.
- Kupfer, D. J., &Detre, T. P. KDS systems. New Haven, Conn: Kupfer-Detre Systems, 1971.
- Kupfer, D. J., Levine, M. S., &Nelson, J. A. Mental health information systems: Design and implementation. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1976.
- Mezzich, J. E. Patterns and issues in multiaxial psychiatric diagnosis.Psychological Medicine, 1979,9, 125–137. CrossRef
- Mezzich, J. E. Multiaxial diagnostic systems in psychiatry. In H. I. Kaplan, A. M. Freedman & B. J. Sadock (Eds.),Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1980.
- Mezzich, J. E., Kraemer, H. C, Worthington, D. R. L., &Coffman, G. A. Assessment of agreement among several raten formulating multiple diagnoses.Journal of Psychiatric Research, 1981,16, 29–39. CrossRef
- Developing an efficient clinical information system for a comprehensive psychiatric institute: II. Initial evaluation form
Behavior Research Methods & Instrumentation
Volume 13, Issue 4 , pp 464-478
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors