The making of a personality inventory: Help from the WWW
Data collected electronically from the World-Wide Web (WWW) in two samples (n=429 and 1,657) were compared with traditional paper-and-pencil measure data from two university samples (n=760 and 148) in three psychometric studies of a new measure of self-trust, the Self-Trust Questionnaire. With the exception of scale score variance, which was larger in WWW samples, psychometric properties of the scale were comparable across samples collected from the two sources. WWW samples were more similar to psychology student samples (predominantly young females) than to typical Internet users. On balance, findings indicate that the advantages of the WWW as a data source, including large heterogeneous samples, outweigh problems with data accuracy and generalizability, making the WWW an attractive source of data for researchers developing self-report personality inventories.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Ainsworth, M. D. S., Blehar, M. C., Waters, E., &Wall, S. (1978).Patterns of attachment: A psychological study of the strange situation. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Bowlby, J. (1969).Attachment and loss: Attachment (2nd ed.). New York: Penguin.
- Georgia Institute of Technology: Georgia Tech’s Graphics, Visualization, and Usability Center (1997).GVU’s WWW User Surveys [On-line]. Available URL: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/user_surveys/
- Hewson, C. M., Laurent, D., &Vogel, C. M. (1996). Proper methodologies for psychological and sociological studies conducted via the Internet.Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers,28, 186–191.
- Pasveer, K. A. (1997).Self-trust: Definition and creation of the selftrust questionnaire. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Calgary.
- Schmidt, W. C. (1997). World-Wide Web survey research: Benefits, potential problems, and solutions.Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers,29, 274–279.
- Sears, D. O. (1986). College sophomores in the laboratory: Influences of a narrow data base on social psychology’s view of human nature.Journal of Personality & Social Psychology,51, 515–530. CrossRef
About this Article
- The making of a personality inventory: Help from the WWW
Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 309-313
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links