The extent of processing of noise elements during selective encoding from visual displays
Circular visual displays of 12 elements, consisting of A, H, M, and U, were presented to S. She responded with a lever movement in one direction if a given letter designated by a bar indicator was a member of the set A-U and in the opposite direction if it was from the other set. The principal experimental variables were the SOA by which the indicator preceded the display and whether the target letter was flanked by letters of the same or opposite set. The results indicated that the interference produced by noise letters is primarily on the response as opposed to the processing side. Also, there is a limit to the precision of selective attention in the visual field. The interference of opposite-set letters was inversely proportional to their distance from the target.
- Colegate. R. L., Hoffman. J. E. & Eriksen, C. W. Selective encoding from multielement visual displays. Perception & Psychophysics. 1973, in press
- Eriksen, C. W., & Hoffman, J. F. Temporal and spatial characteristics of selective encoding from visual displays. Perception & Psychophysics. 1972a, 12, 201–204
- Eriksen, C. W., & Hoffman, J. E. Some characteristics of selective attention in visual perception determined by vocal reaction time. Perception & Psychophysics, 1972b, 11, 169–171.
- Eriksen, C. W., & Lappin, J. S. Internal perceptual system noise and redundancy in simultaneous inputs in form identification. Psychonomic Science, 1965, 2, 351–352.
- Estes, W. K. Interactions of signal and background variables in visual processing. Perception & Psychophysics, 1972, 12, 278–285.
- Hintzman, D. L., Carre, F. A., Eskridge, V. L., Owens, A. M., Shaff, S. S., & Sparks, M. E. “Stroop” effect: Input or output phenomenon? Journal of Experimental Psychology, 1972, 95, 458–459. CrossRef
- The extent of processing of noise elements during selective encoding from visual displays
Perception & Psychophysics
Volume 14, Issue 1 , pp 155-160
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors