Reading and cognitive capacity usage: Adjunct question effects
Cognitive capacity usage during reading was measured in two experiments. During reading of a 27-page passage on marine biology, text-relevant inserted questions, irrelevant questions, or no questions were answered by undergraduates. Cognitive capacity usage increased when text-relevant questions began but not when irrelevant questions began or when no questions were given. The increase in cognitive capacity usage was largest on pages immediately following questions. Cognitive capacity is used in the elaborative stages of text processing.
- Anderson, R. C., &:Biddle, W. B. On asking people questions about what they are reading. In G. Bower (Ed.),Psychology of learning and mottvation (Vol. 9). New York: Academic Press. 1975.
- Carson, R. L. The sea around us. New York: Oxford University Press. 1951.
- Carver, R. P. A cirtical review of mathemagenic behaviors and the effect ot questions upon the retention of prose materials.Journal of Reading Behavior, 1972,4, 93–119.
- Coke, E. V. The effects of readability on oral and SIlent reading rates.Journal of Educational Psychology. 1974,66, 406–409. CrossRef
- Kahneman, D. Attention and effort, Englewood Cliffs, N.J: Prenuce-Hall, 1973.
- Kerr, B. Processing demands during mental operations.Memory & Cognition. 1973,1, 401–412.
- Mcgaw, B., &Grotelueschen, A. Direction of the effect ot questions in prose material.Journal of Eductional Psychology, 1973,63, 580–588. CrossRef
- Posner, M. I., &Boies, S. J. Components of attention.Psychological Review. 1971,78, 391–408. CrossRef
- Posner, M. I.. &Klein, R. On the functions of consciousness. In S. Kornblum (Ed.),Attention and performance IV. New York: Academic Press. 1973.
- Rothkopf, E. Z. Learning of written instructive materials: An exploration of the control of inspection behavior by test like events.American Educational Research Journal. 1966,3, 241–249.
- Rothkopf, E. Z. Barbarism and mathemagenic activities: Comments on criticism by Carver.Journal of Reading Behavior. 1974,6, 1–8.
- Rothkopf, E. Z., &Bibiscos, E. E. Selective facilitative eftects of interspersed questions on learning from written materials.Journal of Educational Psychology. 1967,58, 36–61. CrossRef
- Reading and cognitive capacity usage: Adjunct question effects
Memory & Cognition
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 266-273
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors